We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

I just dumped them all, there are ALOT! Still working on GoPro footage and LI trip report...

flickr.com/photos/…

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

still getting the darn maintenance message- is it just me?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

no, not just you. Supposed to be back up at 1am. Just try back tomorrow

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Thanks a lot! I've reservations for October and wondered about the snorkeling. Pictures do indeed speak a thousand words. These pictures say YES! a thousand times YES! I didn't look through them all but, about the ones on 7/4, they looked very nice indeed. Can you tell me where they were taken? Any other sites that you would especially recommend for beach-access snorkeling? If you'd rather not say, I have no problem with that and take no offense. Thanks again. Ralph

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Ralph, on the 4th we were actually snorkeling in Elizabeth Harbour in Exuma. All of the snorkeling pics from 7/6 and after are of Long Island. Tell me what part of the island are you staying in and I'd be happy to recommend some spots.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

I can't see the whole link to your pics. Can you message me the link? I would love to see what you did on LI!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

I'll send you a link via FB when I get home. At the pool now trying to keep this tan!

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Hi, jungledriver. I'll be staying at Ellen's Inn at Deadman's Cay. I'll have a car so I will go anywhere on the island to look for good snorkeling. Thanks, Ralph

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Hi Ralph, one of our favorite places to snorkel is in the bay below Columbus Monument (best at high tide). After that, take a left out of the rd to the monument drive all the way to the end and park at the dock. There is an old bridge you can walk over to get to another very pretty harbor/bay. You can also get in the water and let the swift moving water sweep you under the bridge. From there head south to Cape Santa Maria. Once on the beach, walk all the way south past the big yellow house with rocks that jut out onto the beach. Just past that is Rainbow Reef. I got some good shots of this reef on 7/10/13. If the ocean is calm, try snorkeling at Coral Gardens in Stella Maris. Take the 1st access rd on your left (driving south) to Stella Maris. There is a sign for Coral Gardens on your left, take that rd until you see the wooden boardwalk. Getting in and out here looks tricky so make sure you only go if the water is very calm. We didn't get to snorkel here but I could see huge brain coral from just standing on the rock ledge. Another favorite place is the tide pools. Follow the signs for "rock pools" and "love beaches". Again, only go when the ocean is calm and high tide is best. Don't miss the actual rock pool as well. It's near the Moonshine Grill. There are many places to eat lunch in the north (family restaurant in burnt ground, two sisters, Cape Santa Maria, moonshine grill at Stella Maris).

There are alot of horse-shoe shaped bays on the Atlantic side but so far I haven't found great snorkeling. Guana Cay is nice. I think it's down the street named Boat Harbour or something like that. it's paved. The beach is nice but there is alot of turtle grass. Maybe you'll spot a turtle and it's an easy swim across the harbor to the island. There's a very pretty atlantic side beach in Salt Pond but not sure about snorkeling. There's a place near Petty's called the "aquarium" that sounds interesting but we never found it. Maybe ask around at one of the stores. The people at Le Rose should know as it's near their property where we stayed on our 1st visit. Obviously Dean's Blue Hole is a must do. We saw a small peacock flounder there. The beach is gorgeous. Snorkeling over the Blue Hole is a bit unnerving but there are some nice fish near the entrance. Before you get to Clarence Town, take a left at the road to the Compass Rose apartments. Park in the hard sand and walk all the way to your left where you'll find a very cool natural rock pool. There are lots of baby fish inside the protected pool. Back closer to where you park, off the beach you'll see lots of cool rock formations with coral and sea fans. Lots of parrot fish there.

I'm sure there are hundreds of spots we haven't seen yet so just try any side road from Queens Hwy and see where it takes you. The beaches at Fords and Gordon's are beautiful but not much to see under water. Be sure to take a boat trip with Stella Maris, Cape Santa Maria or Presley Pinder (TJ's Boat rentals). You can get to some much nicer reefs from a boat.

Have fun and please post about your trip when you get back. We are hoping to go back over Thankgiving!

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Dear jungledriver! Thank you very, very much. It will be nice to arrive with a few clues. It is also good to see that you like Long Island enought to be going back soon. I feel like I am on a multi-year quest for a good snorkeling location that I can afford to get to and that is off the beaten path. I yearn to find a place that I will want to go to again and again. Maybe Long Island will be it! Thanks again. I'll report when I get back. Ralph

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Pics: Exuma and Long Island 6/30 - 7/13

Enjoyed looking through your photos - that was a good sized barracuda, puts me off more than sharks, ha ha. Looks like you spent more of your vacation under water than above it (& that's a good thing!) :)

Wow about the flamingo tongue shell photo - it's always a treat to see one of them. Oh, and that is Sampson Cay (you have a question mark) :)

Thanks for sharing!

Get answers to your questions about Long Island