We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island or Crooked

MN
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Long Island or Crooked

Hello,

Last year our family (2 kids 11 & 8) spent 10 days on Cat Island and loved it! I am an avid Bone fishing guy and it was recommended that we head to Long Island. I am also intrigued by Crooked and Acklins. We are looking for a laid back ( not a fancy pants) place with a nice beach, good fishing nearby, and solitude. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Long Island or Crooked

Sorry, Deals is north of Whymmsical Wish but not by much.

Also, don't rule out Andros for bonefishing. Many people label it as the bonefishing capital of the world but I think that might be overblown.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Long Island or Crooked

I know you said you are experienced but this site might have some info of interest to you: www.bahamasflyfishingguide.com/longis.html

MN
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Long Island or Crooked

Thanks again. A kitchen would be nice, but most important are a nice beach with good snorkeling and bonefishing. I checked out Winter Heaven, nice place, but not a good beach.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Long Island or Crooked

I haven't been yet but, I would have to second jd's whymmsical wish, whymmiscalwish.com/. It's the one i'm leaning towards so far, The Cottage. Looks to be good for bone fishing also, have a look at it.

MN
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Long Island or Crooked

Jungledrive. Yes it is a great site w/ lots of info.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 23:07
MN
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Long Island or Crooked

A full kitchen is not necessary, but 2 bedrooms and a nice beach for snorkeling and nearby flats for fishing are high on the list. Thanks. I am finding it a bit frustrating trying to find a place because there are many options. Once I chose Cat last year it was pretty easy due to a more limited number of lodging facilities.

Level Contributor
39 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Long Island or Crooked

I just got back from Long Island. Check out my review on Stella Maris. I think it will be perfect for you. It was for me. The price is right too. The bone-fishing is incredible to say the least. At times we saw schools of hundreds of bone-fish. Good Luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

MN
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Long Island or Crooked

Thanks for the info. We will be heading to LI next month and staying at Harbor Villas. Any fishing spots you are willing to share? Thanks

Jackson, WY
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Long Island or Crooked

Hi all, we're in midst of deciding crooked or Long Island too. Though toying with gtc. We have to go in march about 16-26 and I'm worried it won't be that warm. We want easy /accessible flats fishing; some nearby reatuarant(s); & nice beach w easy swimming/nice beach for our 6 year old. When in great exuma we rented a boat and loved being able to boat to the nearby cays. Is this as easy in long or crooked islands? Would love some guidance !

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Long Island or Crooked

We really enjoyed Cat Island and stayed at Halversons Resort which was great. It has a wonderful beach and the villas were quaint and nice. We did a lot of snorkeling and took a few day trips to different parts of the island to explore beaches and sight see. The reason we chose Cat was because it seemed remote. laid back and has some pretty good fishing. We would have gone back, but I am a fly fishermen and LI has more bonefish opportunities. Last year was our 1st year exploring the out islands, so we are new to the Bahamas, but look forward to exploring them. We do not like fancy places or crowds, so Cat was a good choice and I hope LI is as good. Looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday! I hope this helps in your decision.

Get answers to your questions about Long Island