We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

We are thinking of staying in Rodengo with day trip visit to Vipiteno, Bressanone, Merano, Bolzano, Brunico, Ortisei & Trento on day trips.

I realise that the weather is changeable but is late June generally a good time to visit. Our hotel in Rodengo does not have air conditioning, is this going to be a problem in late June?

Look forward to your reply.

Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Hi,

I never traveled to the area in June. I was hoping someone would have answered your question by now. Are you planning on driving or using public transportation?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Hi Pja60,

Thanks for your reply. Since posting the original question we have changed our mind slightly.

Made a definite decision about the hotel and location - Park Hotel Mignon in Merano. Looks a beautiful place and the hotel looks fab as well. Hope to visit some of the nearby places by public transport or a organised excursion, don’t want to hire a car.

Still undecided about the date. Will either visit late June & early September for one week. I have looked at lots of the weather websites and it says rainfall is higher in June when compared to September. However, according to historic weather on Weather Underground the start and middle of June seems to be unsettled but the end of June has generally good weather. I realise that no one can predict the weather and nothing is guaranteed, I don’t think there is any different between the two dates.

I think the deciding factor will really depend on the other destinations we plan to visit in the year. At the moment we are thinking of New York in May, Merano in September or Merano in June and Portugal in September. We also considered New York in early September but the weather may too humid. Decisions, decisions.

Grateful for your thoughts and opinions.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 13:32
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Hi,

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Based in Merano, the Vinschgau/Val Venosta, just to the west of Merano, is fantastic. Mountains, vineyards and plenty of castles.

www.schlosstirol.it/content.php?lang=2

kastelbell-tschars.com/en/sehenswertes-schlo…

schloss-kastelbell.com/de/das-schloss.html

kastelbell-tschars.com/en/sehenswertes-schlo…

kastelbell-tschars.com/en/sehenswertes-waalw…

www.museums-southtyrol.it/en/museums.asp

www.museums-southtyrol.it/en/museums.asp

Paul

www.suedtirolerland.it/en/highlights/castles/

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Thanks Paul.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,077 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Where do you intend to fly into??

Verona would be best but even Innsbruck would be an option. There is a regular bus service from Innsbruck to Brenner then a train to Meran ~ 3hrs in total. Connections every hour

Coming from Verona the connections are less reliable and ca take 2h20 to 3h30

www.oebb.at for Austrian rail

Alpine weather unfortunately is very unpredicatable. Late June it could be 30C+ and sunny or rainy or even Thunderstorms of biblical nature (the latter often the result of prolonged hot weather).

The weather fronts around the alps can affect the weather patterns as far south as lake Garda (even to the southern end of the lake).

Very close to Merano is the Schnalstal/ Val Senales

http://www.schnalstal.com/en/summer/

You have Lago di Vernago and at the end of the valley you can take the cable car up to the Glacier - this year it was open from 23rd June for the summer.

The overall journey from Meran takes ~ 1h20

The 261 bus sometimes (not very often at all) runs direct from Meran to Kurzras/Maso Corto at the end of the valley but runs most often from Naturns/Naturno (every hour). You can get a bus or train from Meran to Naturns to link up with the 261 down the valley

For local transport solutions use http://www.sii.bz.it/en - it will even show train connections. It will work as far south as Bolzano and as far east as Cortina.

South of Bolzano is serviced by a different transport company

General Italian train info www.fsitaliane.it

Please note that the Bolzano - Merano and Val Venosta trains are different to the national rail www.fsitaliane.it although the website can be used to show services but not prices

Please note if you are not already aware most/all places in this area have both Italian and German names which you will find both listed on the timetables

e.g

Merano - Meran

Naturno - Naturns

Vernago - Vernagt

Senales - Schnals

Ortisei - St Ulrich

Ponte Gardena - Waibruck

Brunico - Bruneck

Fortezza - Franzensfeste

In fact in the Meran area the huge majority speak german rather than Italian (although both obviously understood)

Ortisei will take ~ 1h40

You can take the train from Meran to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck and pick up the 350 bus to Ortisei

Brunico/Bruneck will take over 2hrs. Train to Fortezza/Franzensfeste then another train

Please note for train travel in Italy on Regional trains you MUST stamp your ticket in one of the yellow boxes at the station/platfrom prior to boarding to validate your ticket. Failure to do so WILL result in a €50 on the spot fine. The ticket inspectors generally accept no "I'm a touritst I didn't know" excuses.

On buses you generally also have to stamp your ticket to validate it - even when you buy it from the driver. Bus tickets are generally sold at bus stations and at Tobacconists/News agents or station cafes. YOu can buy from the driver but normally a surcharge of 80cents ish

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

We were recently in Bolzano during the last were of June. It was very, very hot and humid. Temps in the 90s. Our hotel room was air conditioned, thankfully, but the bathroom was not. The bathroom was like a sauna, it was so hot. I was surprised, I had assumed that it would be cooler in Bolzano, due to the mountains, but it was not.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

Thanks both, very useful.

8. Re: Rodengo as a base in late June - Weather & air con question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Province of South Tyrol