We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

Cambridge
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

I'm going to Sesto in mid-January 2013. I have two questions:

1) What is the best way to get there from the US? It looks like maybe Venice is the best airport to fly into. From there is it best to take a bus, train, some combination, or...? I think I've found the relevant time tables, but I'd like to get advice from somebody who knows the area.

2) What are the best places to ski near Sesto? Are there any differences I should be prepared for as compared to skiing in the US?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

Exact dates important as is the name of your Hotel (location for public transport and skibus)

1) Your best airport is probably Venice but not for general public transport reasons.

There is a special coach service from Venice to Cortina.

Cortina Express runs at least 3 services daily from Venice to Cortina

cortinaexpress.it/res/download/pdf/318_it.pdf

Journey Venice Airport to Cortina ~2hrs

From Cortina you would have to take the 445 bus to Dobbiaco/Toblach then 446 bus from Dobbiaco/Toblach to Sesto/Sexten. ~1h20

You can use http://www.sii.bz.it/en for the bus queries "From / To"

NOTE: Buses do not run late. Last possible connection for the bus from Cortina to Sesto (over Dobbiaco) is 19:05

This may change if you are travelling on a Saturday or Sunday

Note the 2 names. Sesto is in Süd Tirol. This area of Italy used to belong to Austria. All places in this region have both Italian and German names. German and Italian are official languages. 70% speak German.

The Süd Tirol border runs roughly just above Cortina and as far west as Bolzano and on to the Swiss border.

Don't know if there is a skibus around Sesto/Sexten so EXACT location of your Hotel is important. Don't rely on the Hotels "postal town" address or blurb

2) Sesto/Sexten is in the Hochpustertal region.

s-dolomiten.com/fileadmin/images/Winterpano/…

This comprises a number of very small ski areas. There is a cable car directly out of Sesto/Sexten to Mount Elmo (Big Bird went to Mount Elmo once - wasn't televised)

KRONPLATZ/PLAN DE CORONES

If you wanted a larger ski area you could take the 446 bus to Innichen/San Candido then the train to Percha and access the Kronplatz/Planes de Corones. Takes 54mins and even with the bus connection you can get a connection every hours

http://www.kronplatz.com/en/

kronplatz.com/en/…

kronplatz.com/smartedit/documents/download/1…

At Percha railway station there is direct access to the ski cable car so no messing around

kronplatz.com/en/ski-region/skitrain-skibus/

and if you buy the special skimobile ticket really cheap to use (€6 for a week for unlimited use of the trains and buses)

kronplatz.com/en/…

You will see the above train/bus offers also on the Hochpustertal website

s-dolomiten.com/en/…ski-train-bus.html

EUROPEAN SKIING

If you have only skied in the States then generally speaking European runs "colours" are harder

e.g.

European Blue - USA Red

Euro RED - USA Black

Euro Black - USA Double Diamond black

Obviously not 100% and some blacks are easy than others and some blues are easy than others. Does vary resort to resort. You may find some Euro blues/reds/blacks similar to ones at home but probably best to assume they will be slightly more difficult.

I would say in general the "harder" piste rating in Europe is in France where I have seen some Reds that would be an Austrian/Swiss/Italian Black

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

RAIL/AIRPORT

Assumed Venice as "international" flight. There are other options which may or may not be better depending on where you are flying from and probably more importantly where are you flying to after Sesto

Other possiblites:

VERONA

Verona train station to San Candido (for the 446 bus) 3h40 with one change in Fortezza/Franzensfeste

INNSBRUCK

Innsbruck to San Candido 3h15 with one change in Fortezza/Franzensfeste

Can be done in 2h50 with 2 changes

OTHER SKIING

The Hochpustertal borders the Austrian/Italian border.

There are trains from Innichen/San Candido in the other direction across the border.

Silian is only 13mins away. Only a small ski area though ~ 55km

Sorry only in German

hochpustertal-ski.at/de/…

Bit of a faff as the train station is a bit of a walk to the village centre (~ 800m so half a mile) where you would have to get the skibus to the Turnthaler lift

Cambridge
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

Thank you very much for all of this information, it's really helpful! I think that there's enough info here for me to get a plan together, but for the record I'm traveling from Boston and will be staying at the Sort & Kur Hotel Bad Moos.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

Your Hotel is in Bad Moos not Sesto.

The Hotel is a bit outside of Moos. Just a few other residences (Hotels) around it. Only 650m walk to Moos itself

You do have the local cable car out the back of the Hotel though. Croda Rossa/Rotwand gondala - number 3 on the ski map

The 446 bus stops just outside of the Hotel

Cambridge
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto

OK, thanks again, I didn't even realize that this was technically a different town. It's confusing, since many regions and towns have separate Italian and German names.

Reply to: Traveling to and Skiing in Sesto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of South Tyrol
More Province of South Tyrol Topics