We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Visit to Dolomites

Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Fall Visit to Dolomites

We are planning a trip to Italy in September. We would love to visit this area, but a lot of what I am reading sounds like the area is pretty much shut down in the fall between the summer season and the winter skiing.

Where would be the best place to visit at this time of year. I would like to take a cable car up a mountain for some views, and possibly some easy hiking.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Visit to Dolomites

It is between seasons, and a lot of the lifts are shut down, but hiking in the Alpe di Suisi is still possible. It's the highest meadow in all of Europe, and offers great hikes. There's a good selection of nearby towns like, Suisi, and Kastleruth. Ortesii in the Val Gardena is also a good base, and it has numerous lifts, but again it's between seasons. Further south, the town of Canazei offers lots of possibilities.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Visit to Dolomites

Hi Galeforce, check with the tourist office, but nearly all the lifts in the Val Gardena are open until at least mid-, if not end of September. The ones in Ortisei are usually open till the first week in October, because on the monday nearest the 7th they have a big market (Segra Sacun)

orlando
Level Contributor
15 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Visit to Dolomites

We stayed at the Hotel Turm which is way up high, about a 25 minute bus ride from Bolzano last summer end of june/first of july and let me tell you, the area does NOT shut down. September should be lovely, as our vacation a year ago now was simply a slice of heaven. Lots of people walk and hike or trek, bike ride, etc. Relaxing and reading and or walking the village are also lovely choices.

This hotel has a wonderful spa with all sorts of neat choices, different from our spas in the states; like a hay bath which sounded a little rough for me.

But, the Hotel Turm is a place we hope to return to in the next few years. It was fabulous!!

I think September would be great. Take the bus up to the meadows and just breathe in the clean clear air. We are from Florida, so the cool weather would be a welcome relief for us.

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Visit to Dolomites

September is magic in the mountains. I can't think of a better time to go. Yes, some things might be closed, but there will be plenty open and the trails certainly will be.

We were there pre-tourist season one year -- late May -- and it was fantastic. The crowds were low, although I imagine September is more jumping than late May.

I don't know where you live, but think about Fall colors anywhere, at least in the northern hemisphere. Go, go, go!

Cheers

5. Re: Fall Visit to Dolomites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 20:17