We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending time in the Dolomites

Sebastopol, Ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending time in the Dolomites

In Late August we will travel from Milan Malpensa Airport to Bulla, near St Ortesei, where my daughter will be employed. Our trip will last for 12 days. How can we get up there, are there trains and busses? Should we instead rent a car for the whole trip? We will be four, then five people. Or, should we rent a car in St Ortesei for a few day trips? I was thinking about going to Innsbruck, Bolzano, Verona and maybe some of the other towns arond the area, while my husband and his friend hike.

Is Bulla a good base for our trip or should we only spend a part of the time there. Susan D

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,164 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

Bulla is an excellent base. It's between Castlerotto and Ortesei, and actually above Ortesei, with spectacular views down the valley. We visit every summer, and stay at the Hotel Uhrerhof-Deur, a delightful mountain chalet. The Val Gardena offers so much! Jagged mountain peaks, fields of wild flowers in the Alpe di Suisi, adorable towns with enchanting architecture, great hiking, lifts, delicious cuisine, and an excellent assortment of lodging. Bulla's in the middle of it all!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194841-d587…

Bolzano is the biggest town in the area, and it has excellent public transportation. The smaller towns in the area don't have train service, but there are buses. There are rail connections from Malpensa to Bolzano, but it would take hours. Check schedules on Trenitalia.

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

It's really best to rent a car, so you can fully explore this area. Bolzano's South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology is now world-famous as the repository of the Similaun Ice Man, Otzi.

bolzano.net/english/museum-archaeology.html

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187857-d2…

MSNBC has rated the Great Dolomite Road connecting Bolzano to Cortina through the mountain passes, as one of the 10 best in Europe!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6895250/

The A22 autostrada (Modena to Brenner) is a fast driving road. Verona, Bolzano and the Val Gardena all connect, and the Brenner Pass to Austria and Innsbruck, is just north of Val Gardena. Having a car be the easiest way to accomplish all you want to do on this trip!

Vagabonda

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

Consider visiting Merano and, definitely, Trento. I love Trento and it's a lot closer than Verona. Bolzano is great too. Do get a car, if only for access to the hikes. And do that drive around teh Sella Group (passo Gardena, Campolongo, Pordoi, Sella, back home) or go all the way to Cortina, as suggested. This is absolutely stunning country.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,164 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

Just don't miss Verona!!

frommers.com/destinations/…727_indattr.html

Vagabonda

Chicago,Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

Hello,

We are leaving for Italy very shortly and while in Italy I am renting a car and GPS. I would like to know what the roads to Bulla are like? Paved, gravel, single lane? We are driving from Parma and would like also to know how long a drive it is to Bulla from Parma ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Sebastopol, Ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

I appreciate all the information you have supplied.

One of the members of our group thought that I should investigate using public transportation, like taxis or busses to visit town to town in the countryside, or up to the hiking areas. Is this feasible or is a car really best?

Has anyone heard of cars being available for rent in Ortisei, or should we rent down in Bolzano?

Is the town in the distance on the Sporthotelplatz.com website actually Ortisei? It comes up as soon as I hit the English tab. This is where we hope to stay.

Grazie- Susan Devoto

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

From Parma, head to Modena, and you will take the Modena- Brenner autostrada, A 22, past Verona, Trentino, and Bolzano to Val Gardena. When you exit the A22 at the Val Gardenia exit, the road towards Ortisei is one lane in each direction, and a little hilly and curvy, but not terrible. Right before Ortisei, you'll make a right towards Castelrotto. Again a good road, one lane in each direction. There will be a tiny sign to make a left for Bulla. This road up to Bulla is unpaved. You'll be going up hill, and it's got a few turns, but it's almost a private road, no traffic, and you'll be fine.

Check ViaMichelin for driving maps, routes, ditances, and time:

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

Parma to bulla:

333km 03h17

Re-connect this link. It was too long to be accepted:

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…ItiWGPerformPage

?reinit=1&strStartCityCountry=612&strStartAddress=

&strStartMerged=parma&strDestCityCountry=612&str

DestAddress=&strDestMerged=bulla&image2.x=34&image2.y=12

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,164 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

A car is truly best. There are so many hamlets to explore, and though buses are good, you can't beat the flexibility of having your own car in this area. The roads are very good.

You would need to rent in Bolzano. I checked numerous agencies, and nothing was available in Ortesei.

The Sporthotelplatz photo is not Ortesei.

Ortesei is an enchanting, good size town with Sudtirol architecture.

Ortesei:

http://www.val-gardena.net/ortisei_en.htm

Consider staying in Bulla. It's very convenient for both Ortesei, and Castlerotto. The Hotel Uhrerhof - Dëur can't be beat. It's so reasonable for very comfortable accommodations, lots of common space, excellent dinners and breakfast, exercise facilities, and staggering views. Have stayed there many, many times, and will return again as soon as possible!

http://www.uhrerhof.com/

www.karenbrown.com/property.asp…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,164 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

Just so you know....The roads in the hamlet of Bulla are all paved, and well maintained. Easy to walk around. The road up to Bulla is not dirt, but its a rough and bumpy surface. Last summer, there was a bulldozer and construction, so possibly things have improved.

Ortesei Photos:

…flickr.com/photos/…

outdoors.webshots.com/album/402197206JdiQgE

flickr.com/photos/…

Ortesei below:

…webshots.com/photo/1096399491025767562bsBdMl

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
761 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

I expect you´re better off hiring a car down in Milan and doing the whole journey in it, but if you do end up taking public transport, then there are a couple of opportunities for car hire in the Val Gardena.

Just below Ortisei, at Pontives, there is a place that does car hire, although I can´t remember which agency that is (maybe Avis?)

In St Cristina, which is just above Ortisei, there´s an Avis agency at "Auto Demetz"

Phone 0471 792188

Fax 0471 790948

Enjoy!

Chicago,Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending time in the Dolomites

My wife and I have just returned from our trip and would like to thank everyone for the Hotel Uhrerhof recommendation. It is truly well run by the Zemmer family. Great breakfast and dinners. I used a Garmin 60Cx GPS which got me from Parma to Bulla-Puhels and did not have trouble finding the sign to the property. The road, that takes you from the main road to Bulla-Puhels, is one lane but practically private and very scenic. The staff is very helpful and go out of their way to make you feel at home. Our room had a great view of the Val Gardena. We spent three nights and wished we could of stayed longer.