We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

For someone who is quite familiar with the Dolomite roads, I see 2 alternatives:

1. Down thru Falzarego Pass on Rt 48/203 then across to Rt 251 to Colle St. Lucia down through Zold Alto and Forno di Zoldo, to pick up Rt. 51 at Longarone, and then on to the Tollroad A-27

2. Across Rt. 48 east to Cortina, down 51 through S. Vito di Cadore, thru Valle di Cadore and Castellavazzo to Longarone and on to A-27.

Both have about same milage with a bit more time going thru Cortina in No. 2.

I'm interested in opinions as to recomended way--balancing ease of driving, traffic, scenery, etc.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Number 2 - DEFINATELY!!!

You get the views and a few bends, but the driving is much easier. The Zoldo valley just goes on and on and on for ever. Don't do it!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

thanks! Good to hear it from someone who has first hand knowledge!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Hi somerset,

While I also like #2, I'd like to add that you could take the road from La Villa towards St. Kassian/San Cassiano over the Valporola Pass / Falzarego Pass and then get Rt. 48 to Cortina d'Ampezzo. You'll also pass the cable car Lagazuoi on the way. We drove this route twice in Oct. 2006. Once from Cortina d'Ampezzo to La Villa and then back to take the cable car (and then back again to La Villa, of course). Fantastic and strange scenery along the way. Parts of it looked like what I'd imagine the surface of another planet to look like. Giant boulders and barren landscapes amidst Dolomite peaks during part of the drive.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Just to add to Paul's message - the boulders he's refering to are huge chunks of mountain which were dynamited out by the Austrians and Italians during the Great War. The lived in tunnels in the mountains and occasionally tried to blow each other up.

Clark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Taking the cable car to the top of the mountain at Falzarego is a must. The scenery doesnt get any better. BYW, my grandfather was one who lived in those tunnels and fought for Italy in the Great War. It is what brought me to that area. Absolutly breathtaking!!!!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Paul, yes I was planning to take the road from La Villa through Valparola to Falzarego, then on to Cortina.

I have also thought, depending on time available, of making a circle drive on another day, prior to leaving for Venice, to take in the Falzarego pass and lift--i.e., going from La Villa down through Corvara to Araba, across on Rt. 48 to Falzarego and then back to La Villa on the road through Valparola/San Cassiano.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Hi again somerset,

Not to confuse you too much, but a very scenic loop drive from La Villa is:

over the Gardena Pass, then the Sella Pass (it branches off the Gardena Pass) to Canazei, Pordoi Pass to Arabba and then the Campolongo Pass to Colfosco and then back to La Villa.

A great website for Dolomite pass info and pictures is:

www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php

Paul

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

Thanks again. I'm hoping to do much of that loop on the way to La Villa from Vigo Di Fassa

9. Re: Alta Badia to Venice--which way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 05:28