We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks in the Dolomites

Southborough...
Level Contributor
3 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Walks in the Dolomites

My wife and I returned recently from a walking trip south of Torino. We ended the trip by a (too short) visit to the Dolomites (we were in the Val Gardenia area). We want to go back! I'm looking for some good sources of information on walks in the Dolomites. My wife's knees are not going to take a lot of steep descents so we are looking for easier walks. I have seen references to Gillian Price's book "Shorter Walks in the Dolomites". Can anyone give me some other reading materials so that I can plan our trip?

Thanks in advance.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

There are tons of good books on Dolomites walks, but most are in Italian or German. Gillian Price's book is one of the Cicerone guidebooks which are usually top notch. There are more available on Amazon, though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

Hi,

Check out Rick Steves' "Italy" book for the Seiser Alm and this website:

www.val-gardena.com

Paul

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

Hi again,

Just to add to my extremely short response, we took the Mont Seuc cable car from Ortisei, Val Gardena, up to the Seiser Alm. There's an indoor and outdoor cafe/restaurant at the top, and many walking "trails" on paved paths. Quiet walks with a gorgeous Dolomite backdrop. We walked here for a couple of hours. There are a few long inclines, but nothing really steep. I mentioned Rick Steves' "Italy" book since he lists a number of walks in the Seiser Alm.

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

www.seiser-alm.it/en

Paul

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

There's also a Sunflower guide. amazon.com/Dolomites-Eastern-South-Tyrol-Sun…

I think it's pretty new, and I haven't seen one for here, but I've used them for other areas and they're excellent...

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

Just returned from the Dolomites a week ago. In my opinion, Gillian Price's book on shorter walks is the best resource. My only recommnedation would be to find a good map of the area. The maps in the books are very rudimentary.

An outstanding walk would be the Viel del Pan. There's a small initial climb, then a straight walk all the way to a rifugio facing Marmolada Glacier---maybe 2 hrs 1 way. You won't work less for more amazing views in the Dolomites.

There are also a lot of moderate hikes around Alpe di Siusi.

Good luck.

Southborough...
Level Contributor
3 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

Thanks for the information. The Rick Steves book mentions Kompass # 54 as a goood map. I have also read that the series of maps by Tabacco are good ones. Once I have finished my reseach on the walks, I will order the maps that cover the areas I am interested in.

When we walked in the Piedmont, trail blazes were few and far between. We got messed up frequently. How are the markings for walks in the Dolomites? I have been spoiled by hiking in Switzerland where you would have to work really hard to lose you way.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

All of the hikes that we went on were extremely well marked. They actually paint a red/white trail marker on the rock w/ the route # every few hundred feet. There were always signs at intersections.

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

When we stayed in Hotel Tanzer... Issingo (near Brunico) we woke up to views over the Kronplatz mountains. The hotel owner,,,Christel does hikes 4 times a week for hotel guests and she caters for all abilities. it is worth a look at the website. www.tanzer.it

9. Re: Walks in the Dolomites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 21:19