We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Val di Funes

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Val di Funes

Alright folks, so I am in love with this place after seeing the below photo of it.

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/439211312_0f2b4151c5.jpg[/img]

It is labelled as "Val di Funes"

I would love to go for a hike in the region.

Having said that, I am having hard time finding connections to the place from Milan.

Would anyone of you be kind enough to help me setup this trip.

Thanks a bunch :)

Samie

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Val di Funes

We had our first holiday in the Dolomites recently and just loved it. This is the company we used.

colletts.co.uk/walking_holidays_italian_dolo…

They collected us from Venice and ran us back to the airport after our stay. Not sure if they do so from Milan.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Val di Funes

Hello. The link to the photo doesn't seem to be working, but I can confirm that the Val di Funes is a beautiful, tiny, untouristy valley between the Val Gardena and Bressanone.

To get there from Milan you'd need to get as far as Chiusa or Bressanone, and then a bus up to the valley itself (also know as Vilnößtal/Villnoesstal)

I think there are a few guest houses in the valley. See the following link for details.

villnoess.com/it/inverno/attualita/Regione-v…

Alternatively, you could stay in Ortisei in the Val Gardena, and then you can walk into the Val di Funes from there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Val di Funes

Thank you for replying, Guys :)

Having seen a deluge of lodging places, I am totally confused.

Would you advise that I stay at the start of valley eg. Teis and then hike down to the rock at the end of the valley? or would it be advisable to do it the other way around, that is, staying at place such as;

http://www.proihof.com/

and then walk down to the rocks (i dont know how to call em exactly, teh towering pinkish rocks)?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Sam

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Val di Funes

Those pink rocks are the peaks of the Ortles mountains. The highest is Sass Rigais. They're mainly limestone, and turn that pink colour at sunrise and sunset.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Val di Funes

Hey there,

A quick question for daisy, since I have a two night stay in Val di Funes, I am guessing a day is enough to see and get a general feel of the valley. Can you please sugget any nearby place (with perhaps slightly different scenery)for day 2? :D

Thanks

Sam

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Val di Funes

Hi there. Will you have a car or are you relying on public transport?

From the Val di Funes you could go over the Passo delle Erbe (supposed to be lovely walking but haven't been there yet) and down to St Martin in Thun (Badia Valley) where there's a museum of Ladin culture which is very interesting.

From there you can either do a loop up through Corvara and the Val Gardena to return, or down to Brunico and then back through Bressanone, both of which are worth a visit.

Or you could walk over to the Val Gardena directly from the Val di Funes and visit Ortisei or the Seceda area

7. Re: Val di Funes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 17:20