We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

vermont
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

Hi,

I posted "Dolomite Drive in Winter". I have been doing more reading and getting colder feet. In this posting, I am trying to find public transportation (bus or train) routes for a 1 day trip leaving from Venice that provides a good taste of the Dolomites : take in views; get out in in some quaint towns; ride a cable car (no skiing just spectating). I have come across Tour group options but the prices seem a bit stiff and personally don't feel like the region really merits a tour guide as the mountains speak for themselves.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

There's a bus service from Venice Mestre to Cortina d'Ampezzo:

http://www.cortinaexpress.it/en/buslines.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

Hi,

You're looking to do a tour of the Dolomites from Venice as a day trip?

I ask because it's about 3 hours from Venice to the Dolomite region (one way). Without an overnight, I don't know. You could train from Venice to Cortina d'Ampezzo or to Bozen/Bolzano. Of the 2, Cortina has more "alpine" scenery yet Bozen/Bolzano has a more charming old town (IMO). If you go to Bozen/Bolzano, there are buses from here into the Dolomites, but again, it's about 3 hours just to get to Bolzano.

We have been to the Dolomites 3 times the last few years and have "toyed" with the idea of visiting Venice from where we stay in Alta Badia. We haven't thought a day trip would be worth the time. An overnight trip... that's more practical.

I have to say we've only driven in the Dolomites, never by public transportation. Trains run to Bozen/Bolzano and Cortina d' Ampezzo, but not "into" the Dolomites. You'll need to take buses from either of these 2 cities to get "into" the Dolomite region.

From Bozen, it's about another hour (maybe less) to get "into" the Dolomites.

Just some opinions.

Paul

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

Hi,

just wanted to correct somthing Paul said - trains don't run to Cortina. You'd need to catch a train to Calalzo di Cadore, which is about 35km away, and then a bus. (For more info http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/cinfo/info05.html)

I honestly think that if you want to "do" the Dolomites in a day from Venice you're best off in a car or on a coach trip.

The roads as far as Cortina from Venice aren't particularly hairy, or high, so you could aim to get there. The area immediately around Cortina will give you a good idea of the Dolomite scenery.

A coach trip with guide may also not be such a bad thing - although the mountains, as you say, speak for themselves, there's a lot of fascinating history in this area which would help you to appreciate the place even more.

DD

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

Thanks Daisy. As I said, I'm not too familiar with public transportation in the Dolomites.

vermont
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

Thank you all for the clear suggestions. I realize its a packed day trip but I believe doable. The bus service suggestion was a great help.

6. Re: Public Transportation for a Day trip from Venice in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 07:17