We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

We are planning a 2 weeks trip to the Dolomites in late january 2011. We are 2 adults and an 8 yr old child and another couple, all in our 20`s. We can`t decide if to try the Dolomites or go back to Livigno (we`ve been to Livigno in March). We are thinking of Selva di Val Gardena, but would like a bit more information about this resort and others. We have received a few offers form apartments in Selva, but don`t want to make a decision until we are sure it meets our requirements. What is the nightlife like, are the pubs busy or are they very quiet? Also is the skiing good for beginners? In Livigno i didn`t really like the skiing, it was just skiing up and down the hill, we skied the first time in Seefeld in Austria and enjoyed that a lot more. Because we will only be skiing a few days is there plenty to do, like daytrips, swimming pools, horsesleigh rides and shopping? Even though we really liked Livigno, we thought that there wasn`t a lot to do apart from skiing because it is not connected to any other resorts. We went for a day trip to Bormio but didn`t think it was anything special. The pubs in Livigno were quite good ( but because we went in March , they weren`t as lively as usual). We would also like to know what the snow conditions are normally like at village level in late january in the Dolomites. We want somewhere with loads of snow! I was suggested Madonna di Campiglio in an old post , but i`ve looked evreywhere online and can`t find any apartments there only 1 or 2. Thanks

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
763 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

Hi Birba, please see my other post as well.

Livigno and Dolomite villages are very different. The skiing in the Dolomites is fantastic and the snow has always been reliable. There are good beginners areas in every valley and also plenty for the more advanced skiier.

The night life is very much quieter than Livigno. Here people tend to do après-ski, then dinner and bed. There are bars and discos open in the evening, but they're not like the madness you get in Livigno. No "full english breakfasts" available either!

Non-skiiers - in the Val Gardena there are winter walks, shopping in the little villages, there will be sledging from Rasciesa (above Ortisei), cross-country skiing, swimming (in Ortisei), sleigh rides (on the Alpi di Siusi). You could catch the bus down to Bolzano or Bressanone

Hope this helps

DD

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

Hi Dolomite_Daisy,

thank you very much for your reply. I think, if just the 3 of us go (myself, husband and daughter) then Selva sounds ideal, but if the other couple join us i think we`ll go back to Livigno, because they never skied before and wouldn`t want them to be bored if the nightlife is too quiet. Personally i would rather see the Dolomites, i`ve always wanted to go. So `ill talk to our friends the next few days and see if they are coming with us or not, at least we can make a definate decision. Thank you for the information it was very helpful.

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

Sorry forgot to ask, do you know of any other resorts in the Dolomites which might have livelier nightlife, i`m having a terrible time finding decent information on the internet!

Thank you

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
763 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

Erm, Corvara maybe has a bit more, or Ortisei, but nothing to Livigno standards. The towns in the Dolomites are much smaller than Livingno and so there's not the choice of bars, discos. Plus most people come for the skiing, and prefer to be out first lifts - hence the early nights!

DD

Level Contributor
26 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

I would suggest considering Hotel Tressane or another of the hotels in Fiera di Primiero. We loved that village. You can see the dolomites from your hotel window. You will be close to beginner as well as advanced skiing. There is a full service spa. There are also pubs that are open at night. How lively they are will depend on the season and what you mean by lively. There are young people there and they seem to be having a good time. These are small villages though. Don't expect New York City type night-life.

6. Re: best resort in dolomites? for nightlife, non skiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2010, 05:16