We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Hi Everyone, We're recently back from Grindewald, Switzerland where we had the best ever vacation. We've decided to now go to the Dolomites for 5 nights in September. Our interests - hiking, gorgeous scenery and photography. We will have a car since we'll be heading to Tuscany for the second part of the trip.

We are looking for - fairly "busy" town, a few shops to browse in, a choice of restaurants and bars. A variety of hikes right at our door step so we don't have to spend too much time each day getting to/from the hike. We prefered the "panoramic views" from Grindelwald rather than having a hotel sitting smack in the middle of the mountains...probably because although I like hiking, I'm afraid of heights :)

With all of that in mind, we're trying to decide between basing ourselves in Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina. I'm leading towards Ortisei. Sound right?

In some ways, I guess we're looking for the "equivalent" (I use that term very loosely) of Grindelwald in the Dolomites.

Thanks for your time. Laura

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Ortisei is the largest, and thus busiest of the three towns and also has lifts both to the north and south, so I would support that choice. The 3 towns are only a few minutes apart, so if you have a car you can visit all of them.

The Dolomites and Val Gardena are wonderful - and the mountains quite different from the Swiss Alps.

I too am afraid of heights, but have found I can ride the gondolas easily if I sit facing into the mountain.

Have a great time.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Hello,

depending on when in September you're coming I'd also say Ortisei is a good choice. It's slightly larger than the other two, and the season is longer so you won't have problems with things being closed.

DD

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Hi,

Agree Ortisei sounds like what you're looking for. It has a small "old town" pedestrian zone. Keep in mind, you can stay in any of the 3, as they are just 5 minutes from one to the next. Right in ortisei is the Mont Seuc cable car up to the Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi.

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com

This "trip report" should be of great use to you. It was done last year by a family staying/hiking/walking in the Val Gardena:

fodors.com/community/europe/live-trip-report…

paul

Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Thanks for all of your help!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,241 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

Ortisei is probably as close to Grindelwald as you would find in the Dolomites – The Val Gardena is stunning and Ortisei has much to offer with its charming town, lifts and excellent trekking.

http://www.val-gardena.com/en/

www.valgardena.it/en/ortisei/page39.html

http://www.val-gardena.net/ortisei_en.htm

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

6. Re: Ortisei, Selva or S. Cristina as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 05:22