We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early June hiking

USA
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Early June hiking

I would love to come in early June but are alot of the lifts closed? What hikes could we do? I'm looking for 5 miles a day, moderate level for a family with 3 older teens. Thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early June hiking

Car or public transport??

In June the Dolomites are just "waking up" after that interim period after the end of the Ski season. During this interim period the lifts close as do many businesses (Hotels, B&B, cafes, restaurants, shops). No lifts means less/no tourists hence the businesses closing and some resort areas get up and running for the summer season quicker than others; that's not just the lifts but the local businesses as well. Generally by mid June some lifts are open in most resorts.

The Val Gardena area is actually one of the first to start but you will notice that there are still quite a few lifts not open until late June/July

http://www.valgardena.it/en/lifts/page65.html

valgardena.it/stchristina/Sommerkarte_2012_G…

Ortisei/St Ulrich is a good choice in this area as many lifts are open. The first one being up to the Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm area at the end of May

www.alpedisiusi.info/en/info/welcome.html

alpedisiusi.info/en/summer-active/hiking.html

alpedisiusi.info/media/6c3ae24d-793e-4d66-a3…

You can see from above you can get the cable car up from Ortisei to the Alpe di Siusi. From Siusi/Seis itself you can get a cable car up or even the local bus to the Compatsch area.

Siusi/Seis would also be a good choice. The walks from the Compatsch are pretty easy

Ortisei and the town of Siusi/Seis can be reached by public transport. Siusi/Seis the easiest as 170 the bus service from Bolzano is quite regular.

The journey to Siusi takes 40mins and the buses run ~ 30mins. This 170 Bus sometimes continues on to Ortisei but a lot less regular (sometimes 2hrs between services.

The 350 Bus also runs from Bolzano to Ortisei but again not that regular (again sometimes 2hrs between services. It does however run a lot more often from Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck station (every ~ 30mins and the journey takes ~ 35mins)

www.sii.bz.it for Süd Tirol transport info. This was always the best source for showing both local rail and bus links and is available in English. It appears however not to be working properly -don't know if there is now some sort of "political" issue with the transport companies (this does happen) and it can no longer show the data or just a website issue. www.sad.it is the main website but not available in English. You can do FROM - TO searches. "da" "a"

If you are not already aware all the towns in this region (Süd Tirol) have both Germans and Italian names.

Roughly anything north of Bolzano/Bozen to the Austrian border. As far east as the Austrian border (north of Cortina) and as far west as the Swiss border (towards Glorenza)

Both German and Italian are official languages and infact over 70% is german speaking. Much of the area is more Austrian than Italian (and many of them wish they still were)

examples

Siusi - Seis

Ortisei -Sankt Ulrich

Castelrotto - Kastelruth

Ponte Gardena - Waidbruck

Bolzano - Bozen

Selva (di Val Gardena) - Wolkenstein

You will see both names on the same timetable - can be confusing if you are not aware as it appears the bus is going to different places.

Please not that "Val Gardena" is not actually a place. It is the name of the valley. The actual name of the town known internationally as "Val Gardena" is Selva/Wolkenstein

When using the bus search timetables you can use either the Italian or German names. i do find however that it is easier to use Wolkenstein than Selva.

Lastly there is also a local dialect called Ladin. This is concentrated around the Val Gardena. You will (online) also find the timetables for the 170 and 350 buses in Ladin

USA
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early June hiking

Thank you for all the information. I have checked the flight schedules and I don't think I can change my dates. Would I be better coming another time when I can come later in the season. I don't want to bring my family to an area where our options will be really limited. We will have a car and I have thought about staying in Selva. I generally like staying in small villages rather than big towns. As long as there are a few good restaurants, bars, cafes. Will Selva be mostly closed up? What other small town option would you suggest? My main goal is a probably 2 great hikes. I want them challenging enough, no stroller type hike. I'd also like to stop at a hut for lunch. Will they be open yet. If so, what would you suggest. Thanks.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early June hiking

Selva, Ortisei or Siusi sshould be ok.

As I said Alpe di Siusi area ofers you more and more will be open. Ortisei is a good compromise and is the biggest town in the area and will have more going on. Ortisei or Siusi gives you direct access to the Alpe di Siusi which will be the busiest areas.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early June hiking

If you do decide to stay in Selva, I can recommend a great acommadation above the village. very reasonable IMO and great views from the property. My photo is from Alpe di Siusi last October. Write me if you want more info. The one thing about June I would guess, is there would be fantastic wildflowers.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early June hiking

Going to the area near Merano (Meran in german) there will be all facilities and options opened, plus, the walking tracks are the most gentle of the whole south Tirol.

Check out Schenna township on its website.

www.schenna.com

Bavaria
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Early June hiking

Hi, we love the Dolomites ourselves and so understand why the right timing is so important to you. However, I agree with the previous comment (Schenna). I would not cancel my trip, some of the the cable cars might already operate - it all depends on the snow level and the weather at that time of the year. Anyway, as an alternative I would like to suggest the Italian South Tyrol region - which borders onto the Dolomites and can be reached via the same airports etc. And in early June you will have the most amazing weather there! And of course the cable cars in South Tyrol are running in June. You can see the Dolomites from the mountains there - and because they are so close you can go on day-visits to the Dolomites. Check this: touchingnature.co.uk/italy-walking-south-tyr…

Hopefully this helps somehow. Have a great trip!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early June hiking

Hi Keadeen,

I think you might confuse people with your reply. The Dolomites are in the South Tyrol region - I think you are referring to Renon, which is the area above Bolzano.

DD

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Early June hiking

Hi kmccarthync,

As already stated previously, the Dolomites NEVER close down – so there is no awakening neither. You can do hikes all year round. In June there still might be snow around, that’s true, but if so then only in higher areas. Most of the times however, you can do most wonderful walks above the tree line, even - or in particular - in June. For example, the Armentara pastures, one of the most well known pastures right below the stunning Heiligkreuzkofel in the Val Badia. That area is well known because of the exorbitant flowering that is going on up there in June. All lifts are open beginning of June since the Italian school-holydays start at that time. Many are open even end of May.

If one is content to stay in cheaper self-catering apartments, then you won’t find it too difficult to get an accommodation ANY TIME of the year. All you need to know then is where to stay in order to find the appropriate hikes that suit your desires.

Gerd

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early June hiking

Gerd unfortunately is ever positive and like many puts on a positive slant. The fact the mountains are there "and always open" doesn't mean that all services that a tourist/visitor may EXPECT there to be open will be. In fact they won't at certain times of year and that is a fact. That means that the area as far as services is concerned is "waking up" and not all services (whether lifts, shops, Hotels, buses etc) in all areas are up and running by June.

I go hiking and climbing in the off season myself as well in mid winter. I, like Gerd, don't have to go far to go hiking/climbing, don't use lifts or hotels either so not important to me and have my own car so not interested in public transport - doesn't mean it isn't important to others.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Early June hiking

<<I don't want to bring my family to an area where our options will be really limited. >>

They wouldn't be *so* limited. I see the Alpe di Siusi lift and the Rasciesa lift in Ortisei this year opened in mid-late May. Those in Selva mid-June. But if you'll have a car, just drive to the top of, say, Passo Gardena or Passo Sella, park the car, and hike from there. You seem to be fairly serious hikers and you don't really need all that many lifts. Apart from the passes, many higher areas can be reached by car, including of course Alpe di Siusi. The area will be fanastically green in June and not as hot as it can get later in the season.

Most of the websites are now geared to winter sports, but if you're quick you can still find information about this summer, which will give you a good idea for next year.

I'd go for it if I were you.