We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

I am planning a two week trip to northern Italy the first two weeks of July with the main purpose of scenic day hikes and scenic drives. My main reason for choosing Italy was to see the Dolomites. As I started to research northern Italy,I found many more areas that I want to see. I would like to see a lot of variation in scenery but I don't want to do too much traveling so I don't enjoy myself either. I planned to fly into Venice and visit the dolomites for a few day hikes, drive the scenic mountain passes, see the Iceman in Balzano, Parco National Della Stelvio, Head to the Lakes region (Garda and/or Como), Gran Paradiso National Park ( see the Mattahorn and Monte Blanc) and end in Cinque Terra. All of these areas I would want a day to do some short scenic hikes. I plan to fly out of Milan. Does this seem doable? Is it possible to travel this time of year without advance hotel reservations? I would plan to have them in the Dolomites and Cinque Terra but if the rest of the itinerary was left open it would make a trip like this easier. Thank you for your help!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,857 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

You would not be able to even scratch the surface of all the areas you mentioned in 2 months, let alone two weeks.

Consider limiting youtrself to the Stelvio NP and the Dolomites - there's more than enough for you to do and see.

Leave the Val d'Aosta for another trip (incidentally, you wouldn't see either Mt Blanc or the Matterhorn from the Gran Paradiso NP!), and the CInque Terre for another time of year (the heat kills you in summertime if you wish to hike).

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

I figured it was probably too much. Any chance of seeing Stelvio NP and the Dolomites without advanced reservations at hotels (other than the first few nights)? That way I can stay in an area as long or short as I want. I am planning on the dates of June 28-July 14.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

You'll certainly have more chance just turning up for a few days end June/start of July than later in July towards August. Many Hoteliers go over to fixed minimum number of nights late July/August.

Much also depends on your budget as when you "walk off the street" if it is only for one night you have to accept that some places may still turn you away but at least having a car you have the flexibility. Also if on your own although single rooms are available in some hotels you may be faced with the single occupancy supplement.

e.g.

wolkenstein.it/eng/prices-summer-val-gardena…

You will also find Hotels on the passes themselves

Just an example to give you an idea of property/prices

http://www.plandegralba.com/english/index.htm

http://www.meisules.it/eng/prezzi.php

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

Hi,

In my opinion 2 weeks is a very good amount of time. I'd suggest the area of the Dolomites which is from Cortina in the east to the Val Gardena to the west. I'd suggest adding the Val Venosta/Vinschgau region (near Stelvio). This starts just west of Meran/Merano and goes to the Swiss border. Different scenery and atmosphere than the "Dolomite area".

www.altabadia.it

www.altabadia.org

www.val-gardena.com

www.vinschgau.net/en/welcome.html

www.south-tirol.com/vinschgau

suedtirolerland.it/en/…

Hope this helps.

Paul

5. Re: Need help with preliminary itinerary for hiking trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:17