We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolomites hiking itinerary

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dolomites hiking itinerary

We absolutely loved our hiking trip in the Dolomites in 2011 and are happily returning this July for another trip. My husband has been doing the bulk of the planning and this was a rough itinerary he came up with. Nothing is set in stone as we like to be flexible based on weather and how we feel. On our last trip we did stay multiple nights at a few refugios and did some day hikes, which we liked. Although that is not currently in the itinerary, we'll likely rearrange our schedule to allow for that.

A few pieces of info:

We are likely flying in and out of Milan and will be relying on public transportation.

We don't have a set destination in mind. As long as we can travel from our last refugio back to Milan by public transportation, we are good. For instance, on our last trip we pretty much just set out and said we will go as far as we can (we had to rearrange our schedule as many of the huts closed earlier than we anticipated)

We like to keep our daily mileage reasonable (around 8-11 km) as our daughter will be hiking on her own this trip (she will be 5.5 years old at the time of the trip)

My questions:

We will be doing this trip in early July. We weren't planning on booking any refugios ahead of time, but maybe calling a few days ahead of time to book space (especially for weekends). What is advisable for this time of year and reservations for the refugios?

If we were to pick a few refugios for a multiple night stay - which would you recommend based on day hikes, scrambles, via ferratas (for my husband), or anything else interesting in the area (on our last trip we did like the WWI history)

And this one might be harder ... if you have any recommendations on books about the Dolomites - e.g. non-fiction about WWI, historical fiction, or fiction set there - I would love to hear them. I love to read and would love to read some books about this area before we go (on our last trip I found myself wishing I had read more about WWI in this area). Unfortunately, I only speak English - so that might rule

out some books if they haven't been translated or aren't available in the US.

Anyhow - here's our itinerary. Would love to hear thoughts from some of the resident experts. Thanks in advance!!!

Fri - depart JFK

Sat - arrive Milan, transport to Dolomites, Passo Costalunga

Sun - Rifugio Roda di Vael

Mon - Rifugio Re Alberto

Tues - Rifugio Passo Principe

Wed - Rifugio Alpe di Tres

Thu - Rifugio Venezia

Fri - Rifugio Malga Brogles

Sat - Rifugio Genova

Sun - Rifugio Puez

Mon - Rifugio Pisciadù

Tues - Rifugio Piz Boe

Wed - Rifugio Belvedere

Thu - Rifugio Contrin

Fri - Rifugio Fuchiade

Sat - Travel to Castle

Sun - Stay in Castle

Mon - Travel to Milan

Tue - Fly out

Argentina
Level Contributor
116 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Hi!

I am from Argentina and I'm going to the Dolomites for the first time in June. I'll go alone so I'll have to do all the planning. Have you and your husband used any guides that you can recommend or any websites?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Cecilia

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Hi Cecilia. The link below is the report and pictures from our trip in 2011. On the front page I have links to several of the books we used (Gillian Price books from Cicerone Press). My husband has done the bulk of the planning - he's used these books, maps he's ordered, and the internet (I think he's mostly used Google Earth and looked up the refugio websites - many have them).

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/italy2011

An established route like the Alta Via 1 might be a good idea to look into to make planning easier (we did part of this and added on some time in the Tre Cime area) .

Since we've only been to the Dolomites once, I have limited experience. But I'm happy to answer any questions that I can.

There are several other members on this forum who are very knowledgeable and helpful - hopefully they will chime in!

Argentina
Level Contributor
116 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Thank you sooo much for your help! I've made the decision this week and didn't know where to start. Sieving through the vast amount of information on the Internet can be overwhelming.

Thanks again!

Cecilia

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Book- a farewell to arms, hemmingway

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Dolomites in 2014. I am going to read your phase notes and I bought the kindle version of Trekking in the Dolomites. I am very interested in your current trip and I hope you will post another report similar to your 2011 report. I am also interested in the WWI history in the area.

Can you tell me what maps you used and where you got them or links,

Edited: 10 January 2013, 23:33
Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

I typically post all our vacation pictures with notes on pbase - so there should be another one after our trip this year!

From my husband regarding the maps:

omnimap.com is the best resource for any international map.

we used the Tabacco 1:50,000 scale hiking maps, Tabacco is the best for the Dolomites.

Tabacco also makes a 1:25,000 scale with a lot more detail. I bought these

for this year's trip.

In 2011 we used 1:50,000, Tabacco sheet #1

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Thanks for the map info. I am still looking thru your pbase. The pictures are beautiful. How did you do the panos?

I give you a lot of credit for carrying your daughter. I will be interested to hear how she does this time as a hiker.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Thanks! Most of the panos are multiple pictures stitched together.

We loved the Dolomites and can't wait for our trip this year. It's so beautiful there - you'll love it!

Argentina
Level Contributor
116 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Hi!

You mention that rifugi close early. What time do they normally close?

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

Before we left everything we had read about the huts said they closed end of September. Most of the huts ended up closing after the last full weekend in September so we had to rearrange our schedule for the last part of our vacation (was not a big deal as some huts were still open).

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,379 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolomites hiking itinerary

In terms of information on the long distance trails in the Dolomites (there are 8 of them) you want to look up this website: www.infodolomiti.it/dolomiti.990004090-0.run

The pages are in italian, but at the bottom of each page there are links to download extremely well done brochures in English and German - one for each 'Alta Via'. These, along with the 1:25.000 Tabacco maps already mentioned, are all you need to do your route planning.