We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

We will visit the mid lake area of Lake Como the middle of September and then want some scenic drives in the Dolomites before going on to Venice. Can you please recommend driving routes from Lake Como? Also, are there any 1-2 hour, round trip hikes to view waterfalls or stunning vistas we could take along the scenic drives? We will only have one night in the area. Thank you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,109 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Hi Bruanne,

Yes, that should be fine with your intended stops and driving breaks during the day.

Drive Western Lake Como via Gravedona to Menaggio.

The scenery is stunning and the time will pass quickly!

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Could someone post a link to a map of the 4 passes with driving routes? Will I have to make a circle or backtrack to get the quickest route to Venice from there? The online maps I've found don't show the location of the "passes" but only the areas. I'm not sure what order to tour them and the best way to leave them. I may end up staying in Merano instead or Ortisei the night before so it doesn't get dark before we get to our hotel. I don't want to miss any scenery or have trouble finding our accommodations in the dark and we will only be there long enough to sleep and eat breakfast the next day before heading out for the passes. What is a nice, but not too expensive place to stay in Merano? You all have been so helpful!.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,109 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Hi Sondra L,

Enter: Chiavenna to Ortisei

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

From Zuoz, drag down to Lago Bianco and the map will readjust to your route.

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Hi,

If you mean the 4 passes drive I outlined, it's a loop trip, not heading to any destination. You'd wind up back where you started. It's good if your staying in the area.

To view a map of the passes:

Go to: www.viamichelin.com

Under the heading "Find your map" type in: 39046 Ortisei

If you're driving to Venice from Meran, I'd simply drive: the highway around Bolazano, exit the A22 highway at the Val Gardena, drive over the Gardena Pass (stop at the "top"), then through the Alta Badia, stop and take the Lagazoui cable car trip (it's right on the main road and it's quick to the top), then head to Cortina d'Ampezzo and then on to Venice.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,109 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

You would also drag down to Livigno for Stelvio from where it indicates the Swiss National Park.

The passes are part of the ongoing route and there's no backtracking.

Once you've made those two adjustments (from Zuoz to Lago Bianco toward Poschiavo, and also from Swiss National Park to Livigno for Stelvio), continue to click on the map and zoom to magnify the map, and you will see Passo del Maloja, Passo del Bernina, Passo dello Stelvio...

Vagabonda

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Thanks for all the responses and clearing up the map/route questions. Another question, will the "mini" rental car size handle the inclines? I don't want to pay for a sports car, but want enough power not to hold up most other drivers. Car suggestions please?

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

We're back and it was a beautiful drive! We ended up with a Ford Fiesta Economy 5 speed and it was fine. We got lost a few times because the roads are not numbered well and those round-a-bouts in the towns are confusing since the numerous exit signs would have many destination names but often would not have the place listed that I was traveling towards. Would only do this type of trip again with a talking GPS. My husband has a good sense of direction and was driving but I'm not good with maps or phone GPS units. My navigation skills are lacking and we went in plenty of circles, back tracked and lost some travel time making stops to review our route more closely. I'm glad we drove the Stelvio Pass. It was fun and there were several really pretty waterfalls along the road. I didn't even need the motion sickness medication. Thanks again for helping us discover the Dolomites!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,109 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Thanks for reporting back Sondra L and yes, it's always good to have a clear idea not only of your destination town (which may be a small town), but the name of a larger town beyond your destination, which may be listed on the sign instead.

It is a beautiful drive!

Best regards,

Vagabonda

29. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:17