We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dolomites

Newcastle, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
The Dolomites

We (2adults aged in our mid sixties)plan to visit the Dolomites in early May 2014 and would appreciate suggestions re good villages/towns in which to base ourselves for approximately 7 days. St Cristina (east of Bolzano) has been recommended; however not sure if anything is open there at that time of year, We generally prefer smaller family hotels - usually *** is fine.

We are keen to do short hikes, explore and admire the scenery and discover other villages (we will have the use of a motor vehicle).

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Dolomites

I'm afraid May is really "between seasons". I'm sure some hotels will be open (although many hoteliers take their own holidays during this period) but the various cable cars, lifts etc. will probably be closed. This year for example the first lift at Santa Cristina opened on 1st June and the others even later. In Ortisei - a magnificent little town next to Santa Cristina - the cable car to Alpe de Siusi opened on 19th May but all the others later. As you will have a car you'll be able to get around to start your hikes - even quite high - but bear in mind there could still be snow. I spent 2 weeks in Ortisei end June/early July and they were still shovelling up the last of the snow on the Alpe di Siusi.

2. Re: The Dolomites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:20