We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the dolomites and where to stay

Boulder, Colorado...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving in the dolomites and where to stay

I have a 2 fold question,

1. Is the driving from Innsbruck to Cortina area bad in early March? I live in the Colorado rockies, so I am used to winder mountain driving but I am wondering if roads are regularly plowed or if there is a possibility that they will be closed?

2. We are interested in skiing the Sella Ronda circuit and I was wondering if you could recommend a town to stay? I see that Cortina is the upscale place to be, but I'm less interested in fur and ferraris than I am in culture and hospitality. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ryan

Valle di Ledro
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
796 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in the dolomites and where to stay

Hi Ryan - 2 part question, 2 part answer!

1. Driving from Innsbruck to Cortina should be fine in early March. On the Italian side of the border the road is pretty much valley floor, so you don't have worry about passes, and it would take unusual circumstances for the roads to be blocked. Cortina is one of the lowest towns in the Dolomites, and besides, how would they get the Ferrari there!!

The only point you might have problems is on the motorway over the Brenner Pass, and again, it would take a fairly severe winter to cause problems for cars. What does happen, though, is that lorries get into trouble if they don't have snow tyres/chains and block the road for other traffic.

On that point - make sure that the car you hire has snow tyres and chains even if the weather looks good, as it is a legal requirement to have them in the mountains, and you'll be on a very sticky wicket insurance wise if you don't have them. I've heard of accidents where someone has been hit, but because they didn't have the appropriate tyres it was deemed their fault, and the insurance wouldn't pay out.

2. Cortina does have some lovely skiing, but as you say, it's the upscale area, and it's not directly on the Sella Ronda, although you can do it in a day trip from there.

If you want to be directly on the circuit then I like the towns of Corvara and Selva (where I live!)

Corvara, in Alta Badia, is being billed as the new Cortina because VIPs are starting to go there, so prices can be a bit steep, however the skiing is wonderful and there's some great apres-ski.

Selva, in the Val Gardena, is quite Austrian in style, and also has great access to the slopes. It allows direct access onto the mens' World Cup downhill run (Sasslong)

You could also look at Canazei, in the Val di Fassa, although I think the town has less atmosphere, and the access to the slopes, while good, is not as good as the other two.

Selva is the easiest to get to from Innsbruck.

Sorry, I ended up being a bit long winded, but I hope it helps. Let me know if you need further info

Boulder, Colorado...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in the dolomites and where to stay

Thanks for your help. I appreciate the detail.

3. Re: Driving in the dolomites and where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 19:20