We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay?

Hi All,

Currently trying to plan the nice beachy part of our trip to Thailand next year - travelling in Jan and Feb. Currently looking at Krabi, Khao Lak and Koh Samui as places to go. Thing that's confusing me with all is the best area to stay in each place.

Basically we want a beautiful beach to relax on, we much prefer laying on the beach than round the pool, would love clear waters and white sand, not sure if this exists on Krabi or if we'd have to go to an islandMy boyfriend loves snorkelling. We also want to be in walking distance to restaurants as hate eating in the hotel every night and want to try the local places. Which area of Krabi would be best for us to stay on? I've heard the Railay area has some of the more beautiful beaches, would this be better for us?

Alternatively if can't find all of the above on Krabi then we were thinking of doing say 4 nights Krabi and 4 nights on one of the islands so we can get the beautiful beaches, maybe somewhere like Koh Jum or Lanta, so if anyone has suggestions about islands that would be good.

Any advice would be most appreciated, have been researching for ages and am just getting confused so thought some real traveller advice of people who'd been might be better!

Thanks

Joebella

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
508 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Hi Jobella!

I'll give you a quick rundown on what I know about the areas you mentioned and if you have more questions feel free to ask...

Koh Samui - Lovely island with some decent beaches, but not renowned for clear water. It's more of a built-up place with lots of resorts, restaurants, etc. Not so much an untouched tropical island, more of a shopping, eating, partying destination.

Krabi Town - Cute Thai town with a small tourist scene. Good for sightseeing, visiting temples, hot springs, etc. No beaches to speak of.

Ao Nang - Very touristy with a good selection of shopping and restaurants but the beach is underwhelming.

Railey / Tonsai - Amazing scenery and a nice beach though all in a small area and it can be quite expensive. Main attraction are the stupendous cliffs which make for great rock-climbing. Only a few minutes from the more busy Ao Nang.

Khao Lak - Massive sandy beach, which is fortunate as you will be sharing it with thousands of other tourists. Very popular with Scandinavian families, and very developed.

Koh Lanta - My little slice of heaven. Numerous great beaches (though little clear water) scattered along a long island. All the amenities but not an oppressive amount of tourists. Plenty of secluded areas to get away from it all. Also a popular place for taking dive trips to nearby islands.

Koh Jum - Lovely flat island with some beautiful long beaches, though they can be a little rocky in spots. Wonderfully romantic place to escape the crowds as the pace is very laid back. Some people find the island too quiet with not many independent bars and restaurants while others go there for just that.

Koh Phi Phi - A great scene for the 24 hour party people.

Koh Ngai - Technically in Trang Province but only a hop, skip and a jump south of Koh Lanta. Laid back like Koh Jum but with better beaches, and plenty of crystal clear water. The downside (like with Koh Jum), the island is small and after a few days you might run out of places to see and things to do.

Keep in mind with all of these places it is easy to contract day trips, tours, sightseeing safaris, what have you. So don't be overly concerned about finding everything you want in one spot. Most of the locations in Krabi are only a few hours ferry ride from each other if you want to hop around.

Cheers!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Brilliant reply, thanks! Very useful! I think we're leaning towards either Krabi for 4 nights so we can do bit of sight seeing then maybe Koh Lanta for bit of island beauty or Koh Samui with going to Koh Tao for snorkelling/island life! It's so hard to decide, I need about 10 extra weeks holiday to do everything I want! :o)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Although just looked at Koh Ngai and that looks stunning! Do you know how we would get there from Krabi?

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
508 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay?

The more I thought about it it seemed Koh Ngai would be a good fit for you - so good choice!

I haven't found this seasons ferry schedules posted anywhere online yet, but they don't vary much from year to year. In the past from Krabi you would take the morning ferry to Koh Lanta and then switch to another ferry that continued on to Koh Ngai. No reason to expect this coming season would be any different.

When you make your reservations on Koh Ngai (which I would advise so you're sure to get the accommodation of your choice) you can enquire with your resort about ferries or other transport as well. They will know the exact details.

Bon Voyage!

Edited: 02 September 2011, 05:07
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay?

If you want to swim in the sea one place to avoid in Krabi is where the sheraton is located, the sea is full of rocks so it's impossible to even paddle.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Thanks for both replies!

Do u know roughly how long the ferry takes? And what times it's previously left log Lanta? Just for planning, wondering whether could do all the travelling in one day or if would have to break it up. Thanks!

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
508 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Oh yes - one day from Krabi to Koh Ngai is no problem - the ferry trip in total would probably take between 3 - 4 hours.

The ferry leaves Krabi at 11:00 and reaches Lanta at 13:00. The transfer to the Koh Ngai ferry is immediate and from my recollection it's about an hour further along.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Assuming the ferry to KOh Ngai is from the same place you get off of the ferry from Lanta? Sounds prettty straight forward! Shall start doing some research and then will show my boyf the options! Thanks again for the advice!

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
508 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to Stay?

You assume correctly. As a matter of fact you might never even set foot on Koh Lanta! As the pier is a small one, ferries usually dock abreast of each other with only the first to arrive being up against the pier itself. Passengers are often required to walk across 2 or 3 other boats to get onto the island. Chances are you'll pull up alongside the Koh Ngai ferry and simply hop from one boat to the next!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area to Stay?

Thanks! One more question ... hopefully the last lol ... where do I book ferry tickets from to Koh Ngai? Can I pre book before we go or do I get them somewhere in Krabi or Koh Lanta?