We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Krabi with my girlfriend in a couple of weeks as a surprise for her 30th. We are staying for 12 nights. And that's about all I have arranged for certain so far! I'm looking for some tips on where to stay for the first couple of nights and the best islands to visit.

We have both been to Thailand before but not when we were together, around 7 years ago. We have not been to the Andaman coast side but visited Samui and Koh Phangan.

My plan was to just get to Krabi (we have a connecting flight from Bangkok), then find somewhere to stay for a night or 2, then visit and stay on some of the surrounding islands.

We are both in our early 30's and will be looking for nice beaches, nice food and a bit of drinking in the evening, not too touristy, not fussed about big resorts, like a little exploring.

So, where to stay our first night or 2? I think I might like to have it booked so we know where we are going after a long flight but the rest of the time I'd be happy just turning up and seeing if they have room. Would that be ok to do? I remember it was fine on my last visit.

Is Ao Nang worth the visit or somewhere to avoid? It sounds like its quite touristy. I like the sound of the Railay beaches so am considering going straight to Ao Nang to catch a boat to Railay for somewhere to stay. Would that work? Or if Ao Nang isn't so bad, maybe it's best to stop there for the first night before moving on...

Which island(s) would be good to chill for the remaining time?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Ao Nang's not a bad place to go for a couple of nights and it's not like say Patong Beach in Phuket, it's also a really good base and jumping off point for getting to other islands. Have a look at Koh Lanta further south

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Thank you, I'll look again at Ao Nang. It's always hard to picture before you've been somewhere. Koh Lanta sounds nice. I'd like to check it out. Any others worth a visit?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,613 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Have a look at Koh Lak.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Will do, thank you.

Can anyone advise on whether it is necessary to book our accommodation in advance?

I probably will for the first night but as we want to travel to at least one island and stay for a number of nights (don't know how many yet). Will it be easy enough to find accommodation on Koh Lanta or Koh Lak without pre-booking?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Phi Phi is always busy, so I would book accommodation there if you plan on going.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Probably not going to bother with Phi Phi to be honest. Maybe a day trip if it's worth a look.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

It's a stunning island and surrounds, but sadly overrun with concrete and tourists these days, but still worth visiting I would say unless you stay on the quieter part away from Thong Sai.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Decided to stay a couple of nights in Ao Nang first.

We plan on spending a few nights each on Koh Lanta and then Koh Jum. Do we need to book or can you just turn up? If need to book, what's the best way to do this? Not exactly sure of dates yet.

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
20 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

If you spend any time in Ao Nang do not miss visitng Mr Long Bar, a nicer man and family as you can wish to meet. Poda is a great day trip viist. Koh Lanta is fantastic.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Krabi, what to do? Where to Stay?

Sounds good, will do.

Would really appreciate some pointers on booking vs not on Jum and Lanta if you can. Off on Sunday!