We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

manchester
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

We have the opportunity to stay for about five days on Long Island. We would like recommendations for a location that offers easy access to things to do, a nice beach and a good family hotel where our kids are likely to meet other children. Nowhere where there is an informal expensive dress code (Hamptons?), but not cheap and tacky either - any advice?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

Uh, beach season is basically over for the year. When will this trip happen? Long Island is over 100 miles long and most of it is suburban. It's only the east end, the Hamptons to Montauk or the North Fork that has much in the way of tourist interest. I'm not sure I understand how you have "the opportunity" to stay on LI without a specific spot. Would you explain?

manchester
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

Sorry - I should have been more specific : -)

August 2012 is the likely trip date. Coming from the UK to the East Coast and in our itinerary we have a few days for R&R. We will have visited Washington DC, New York (for the umpteenth time) and will be on our way to visit family in Boston, so thought that staying at the far end of LI and getting the ferry over to New London from Orient Point seemed like a much nicer idea than Cape Cod.

Have done some research but getting bogged down by detail. The kids will want a day of 'fun' (e.g. a water park or similar), the parents will want a couple of days to relax and then we fancy a couple of days doing something interesting that does not involve too much driving (a day's sailing would be great).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

The only waterpark I know of is in Riverhead. While I've not been there (to the park), I get the sense that it's for younger kids. My cousin takes his daughter who's 7. How old are the kids? There are hotels in Riverhead (Indigo and a Holiday Inn Express) but Riverhead is not the most scenic spot. But those hotels are newish and will be a lot more affordable than anything in the Hamptons. Riverhead is sort of a gateway to either the North Fork (on the sound) or the South Fork which includes the Hamptons and Montauk. Riverhead has a big outlet mall called Tanger that's great for kids clothes if that's something you want.

The Hampton Maid in Hampton Bays is one good spot to consider if the kids are young.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47855-d226720-…

Ocean View terrace also gets good reviews

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47855-d1085110…

Montauk also has loads of good family hotels/motels but will be a lot further from the ferry and the water park.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with nywhiz's information about Spish Splash--it is not only for young kids. The rides and activites there will appeal to a wide range of people and ages . Also in Riverhead you will find the aquarium and new butterfly zone.

http://www.splishsplashlongisland.com/

http://longislandaquarium.com/

I do agree with nywhiz about staying in Riverhead or Montauk. Both have pluses and minuses. Riverhead is a more central location, but you won't have easy beach access and will have to drive a signifigant distance in traffic to reach Montauk/Hamptons. If you stay in Montauk, you will have easy beach access, but will have to travel a signifigant distance to get anyplace else.

If your plan is to hang out for a couple of days on the beach, then I would probably choose Montauk. But if you plan to do a variety of activites, then I would stay in Riverhead.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

I did say I'd not been to the water park myself and I got the SENSE that it was for younger kids. Thanks for providing more accurate info.

But I also recommended staying in Hampton Bays if they want to be on/near a beach. I think it's the best compromise for proximity to the beach, near the water park, not as commercial as Riverhead and a lot closer to the ferry than Montauk. If you stay in Riverhead, the North Fork beaches will be closer. If you want an ocean beach, you really need to stay at a place on or near the ocean.

For best beach access and family hotels/motels=Montauk

Lenhart's cottages are across from the beach, simple but fine.

The Panoramic View is nicer.

For best value and proximity to waterpark=Riverhead

Holiday Inn Express or Indigo

For best overall location in proximity to beaches, water park & ferry is Hampton Bays IMO.

You could also consider staying on the North Fork if you don't mind a bay beach. Greenport is popular.

manchester
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

Thanks all. I shall keep researching and let you know how I got on.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

you could stop by a mini amusement park called adventure land in farmindale, long island, ny, with some water rides

and stay at the hilton hotel with a pool on 110, exit 49 of the LIE 495, u can visit huntington village, where there are nice restaurants and shops, and then head out more east

for sailing

i have only gone sailing at a friends boat and never rented one

look at http://www.citidexli-boating.com/index.html

long island
Level Contributor
107 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

Pt. Jefferson is a nice waterfront town to walk around, you can take the kids on the Pt. Jefferson Ferry, there is a small park with swings there, ice cream shops, Definitely a vacation feel in the summer. Also casual restaurants.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

If it were me I would stay in Montauk and take a day trip to Splish Splash. That is what local families will be doing in August. Adventureland is icky and for young kids.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
379 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family visit to Long Island - what to do, where to stay?

the traffic on montauk highway in august is insufferable. from montauk to riverhead could take an hour an a half, as it did for us this last summer. and there is no good way around it. as much time as we spend in the hamptons and on the north fork, would suggest that as a visitor without contacts you look into the jersey shore - cheaper, more child friendly, multiple boardwalks, great beaches, multiple places with rides and attractions like seaside heights.

Get answers to your questions about Long Island