We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Long Island in April

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
First time trip to Long Island in April

My husband has business to attend to in Halesite this April. We are considering turning his trip into a family vacation as we've never travelled to Long Island before. I've read a few articles on traveling to the Hamptons in the winter and it sounds as if there are enough quaint towns to fill a couple days. We will be traveling with our two very small children (2 yrs, and 6 months) so renting a home with a kitchen would be best. They keep early bedtimes so we'd love to cook fresh fish, enjoy a glass of wine and relax once they go to sleep. A view would be a bonus if the price is reasonable. We will have our own transportation. What would be the best locations to consider? Is there enough to do during this time of year? Again, we don't have big sightseeing goals with two little ones, just a bit of scenery, something for the kids and maybe a nice lunch spot.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

Long Island is named "long" for a reason. It's over 75 miles and about an hour and 3/4 (according to Google) from Halesite to East Hampton. Is your husband going to want to make that round trip each day?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

Thanks for the reply. No, his business should take 1/2 to 1 day at the most. The rest would be leisure time.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

Hello!

While I can't help you with where to stay in the Hamptons, I can't suggest some things for your family to do. Check out this great bog that was just posted today:

…mommypoppins.com/likids/100-things-to-do-wi…

We live in on Long Island, and if you decide to spend some time in Nassau County (closer to Queens), I will be happy to offer some suggestions.

Enjoy :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

You are not far from Huntington. The village there is a typical Main Street village, lots of eateries, shopping, etc. That would be a good start.

The Hamptons are kind of dead in the off season, which April would be. There are plenty of museums on Long Island and other points of interest. What would you like to see?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

If it's this or no vacation, I'd vote for this. But if you have other possible destinations for a vacation with the kids, I'd recommend doing that. The Hamptons is really not the place to be with small kids in April. Halesite is not really that close to the Hamptons (it's closer to NYC) and finding a house to rent for a short time won't be easy or inexpensive. Yes, there are small quaint villages in the Hamptons, there's really not much for kids to do at that time of year. You would be better spending time in NYC if that's an option. There are suite hotels in Manhattan offering separate bedroom(s) and living room with a kitchen.

Radiocityapartments.com

nycsalisbury.com

beaconhotel.com

affinia.com

are some examples. The children's museum in NYC is good for small kids. Central Park and the Museum of Natural History are fun.

You can leave your car parked outside NYC if you want and just take the train in.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! We are taking a family vacation to the Bahamas in a few weeks so this would be just a bonus tagalong trip. We thought it would give us the opportunity to see an area of the country we've heard is beautiful (hamptons) at an off-season rate. Hadn't really thought about staying in NYC however we will likely stop to visit some family on the way in. Thanks for the hotel/apt suggestions NWHIZ. I will check them out. Our city trips so far with kids have been very exhaustive so I am a bit weary. Perhaps I should reconsider though since there doesn't seem to be much going on in the hamptons.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

Even if you were to hit great weather, it would still be a challenge to find anything decent and affordable near a village with a kitchen. Most houses are either closed for the winter or rented for the whole winter. If you find something that seems good to you, you can always post a link here for opinions.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

Why don't you take a look at the VRBO web site and see what might be available. You mIght find someone offering an Incredible house or one in a fabulous location for literally pennies on the dollar compared to August. I'd seriously check out that before I discounted a spring trip to Long Island.

9. Re: First time trip to Long Island in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:25