We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

We may have to go to a marina on Staten Island to look at a boat. Most likely, we will stay at the Long Island Marriott and drive to Staten Island. Google says it would be 44 miles. if we did this on a Saturday morning, what would the traffic be like?? Not sure if we want to drive into a really busy area....any thoughts would be appreciated.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

You don't mention where on Long Island that Marriott is.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 20:34
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,192 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

Which Long Island Marriott? The one in Uniondale?

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

If you leave early enough it should only take no longer than an hour and 15 minutes. Your best option is driving. Public transportation at any point of this venture can make this trek over 2 hours. FYI, Verrazano Bridge is $13 coming in to Staten Island. Going back is free.

Which marina are you going to?

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

We would be staying at the Marriott in Uniondale and the marina is Staten Island Yacht Sales

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

On a Saturday morning it shouldn't be too bad. The Belt Parkway might make you swear off coffee for a while, but even that shouldn't be bad in the morning.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

That's my neck of the woods in Staten Island. I don't think traffic will be that bad. As mentioned, the Belt Parkway is the only part of the trip that might have a little traffic at that time, but shouldn't be too bad. I stick whith my hour and 15 minutes estimate.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

I am wondering if it would be easier to stay in NYC, take the Staten Island Ferry and cab it from there to the marina.......how does that sound?

I've seen the ferry but never taken it......are cabs easily available on the Staten Island side? How long of a trip would it be to that marina?

Thanks folks!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

Staten Islanders have one of the longest work commutes in the country. But thousands do it every day. It's not bad if you are not in a rush. You have a couple options from the St. George ferry terminal.

1- take the train from St. George to Great Kills and walk down to the marina (about 15 to 20 mintue walk) not bad except uphill walk back to the train station or take a cab from the sevice next block over from the train station ( that would be less than a 5 minute ride)

2- cab at the ferry. I would advise against this because it's about $20 and a 30 minute ride and cab drivers there may not be familiar with the neighborhood the marina is in.

3 - bus from terminal- the S78 bus woud drop you off close by to the marina (Hillside Terrace stop) . The negative is that it's a 40 minute ( if you're lucky bus ride)

The positive about taking the train or bus is that if you take the subway from the hotel to the ferry, once you're in Staten Island, it's a free transfer. Staten Island Ferry is free too. Have lunch by the marina too! There are atleast three restaurants in that area (many more in Great Kills. check reviews first) and a seaside nature park right next to the marina.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

I forgot to mention, you can take an express bus in to Staten Island or back to Manhattan (X1).

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Long Island and driving to Staten Island

Thanks so much for your very specific info - is the train station close by to where we get off the ferry on Staten Island??

Get answers to your questions about Long Island
Recent Conversations