We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Driving

We want to drive into Long Island from the north or from west of New York City. What would be the best and safest route? We will be towing a small camper.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

If you are coming from the north take the Throgs Neck Bridge and then the Long Island Expressway (495) to head east onto Long Island.

If you are coming from the west you could cross the George Washington Bridge and then take the Cross Bronx Expressway. This will lead you to the same Throgs Neck Bridge and then the Long Island Expressway.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

Be aware you can ONLY drive on Expressways not Parkways, you WILL get an expensive ticket

Take I-80 to George Washington Bridge Take I-95 (Cross Bronx Expressway) until I878 Throggs neck Expressway (Exit to Throggs Neck Bridge), Go over Throggs Neck Bridge and take Clearview Expressway (I-278) take Clearview Expressway to Long Island Expressway (I-495)

Again do NOT take ANY Parkway

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

Just be aware that from the George Washington Bridge onto the Cross Bronx Expressway you'll be in a parking lot unless you do it in the middle of the night. Because so many roads don't allow trucks, this route, which does allow them, is particularly congested.

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

Are you serious about parkways? Because of the trailer?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

Yes, trucks and trailers are forbidden on the parkways. Passenger cars only.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 02:25
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving

You never actually said just where you want to go on Long Island. Directions would be easier if we knew your ultimate destination. You shouldn't have to worry too much about parkways. The Expressway will take you almost to Riverhead. Just stay off the Northern and Southern State. You also have State Route 25, 25A and 27.

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving

Destination is Battle Row campground in Bethpage.

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving

Thank you so much for making me aware of this NY law.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving

Looking at Google maps, it looks like you'd take the Round Swamp Road/Old Bethpage exit off of the Long Island Expressway to get to your campsite. You've already been given good directions (well, the best you can do with a trailer) for getting to the Long Island Expressway while avoiding any of the parkways.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving

As well as staying off parkways, with a camper with propane tanks, you can not use any of the NYC area tunnels. When we had a pop up camper the only two ways open to us off Long Island were the George Washington Bridge or the Verrizano Bridge and Staten Island.

On LI you must avoid the Grand Central/Northern State Parkway, the Meadowbrook Parkway, the Wantaugh Parkway, and the Cross Island Parkway.