We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

Will be in Krabi for 3-4 days in July, and planning a day trip to Phang Nga Bay. We will be based at Sheraton in Klong Muang, and will be traveling with a young toddler.

What are the most convenient options to make the day trip to Phang Nga? Want to optimize for flexibility, and don't necessarily want to go to all the touristy spots in the bay (James Bond island etc). Are there boat tours to the bay starting from Klong Muang/Aao Nang? Is it advisable to hire a taxi to get to Phang Nga and then do a boat tour?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,200 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

I don't recommend you to go up to Phang Nga. Accross the Sheraton is Hong Island and some more beautiful islands with nice beaches, easy to reach by longtail boat.

Mentioned in this post
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

klongmuang, thanks for that input. We are indeed planning to do a trip to Hong Island on one of the days. Are there any other nearby islands you recommend, which offer something different from Hong, and are worth a visit?

We are also considering a trip to Phi Phi Island as one option for the second day, but most forums seem to recommend Phang Nga over Phi Phi Island, and hence the above question.

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

Hi,

I'm also staying at the Sheraton in August. Do we just wander down to the beach and organise our own longtail to Hong Island or is it best to do a tour? How much should we pay if we organise it ourselves? Are there any other islands easily accessible from near the Sheraton?

Thanks for any help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

Bumping this back up, I would also be interested in knowing about boats from the Sheraton begining of Sept. Any help appreciated.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

We expect to receive soon the report from AR-AR, who was here in July and than the report from breenie after his visit in August. Hope they will pass their experience after asking questions here.

New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

Update - ended up using that day for a trip to Phi Phi island, and it was wonderful. Most travel agents and the hotel concierge were focused on tours to Hong Islands, Phi Phi, Four Islands etc, and for good reason - the whole area is fantastic, so if one is in the Krabi/Aao Nang/Klong Muang area for only a few days, there is enough and more nearby that a trip to Phang Nga may not be worth the hike.

If one is at the Sheraton, here are places that I recommend visiting:

- Klong Muang beach at the Sheraton is fantastic! Try some water sports there, and charter long tail boats to nearby islands

- Hong Island is highly recommended all around (though we couldn't make it due to bad weather)

- Phi Phi island is amazing, even though it is quite touristy. If you go there, don't forget to visit the Phi Phi viewpoint, which gives you an unforgettable view of the two green-blue crescent shaped bays. I recommend visiting Phi Phi by the ferry (from Aao Nang), which gives you much more flexibility and time to explore the island compared to the speed boat tours. If possible, stay a night or two at Phi Phi

- Make a day trip to Aao Nang. Take a long tail to Phra Nang or West Railay beach, which are extremely scenic and offer a nice setting of trademark limestone cliffs. On your way back, enjoy an economical lunch or dinner of (authentic?) thai food with a brilliant sea view at the main drag at Aao Nang

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Hong Islands
Hong Islands
1,356 Reviews
Krabi Town, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Phra Nang Inn
Phra Nang Inn
917 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
4,794 Reviews
Railay Beach, Thailand
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

I am travelling to Bangkok in March for a 10 day conference. We will have a weekend free and may be able to extend a bit by skipping Friday. I'd love to get down to the islands, but don't know if it is worth it for such a short time. Any suggestions or thoughts? Krabi and Rilly look interesting to me as they offer distinct scenery. I will be travelling with my father who is 72, so no hiking, but he can do boat trips/snorkeling.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

Are there any day cruises from Krabi to Phang Nga Bay?

I would prefer to do it from Krabi as we only have 4 days in Phuket this trip.

We have done Phi Phi Islands on a previous trip and will definitely do Hong Island from Krabi but want to do Phang Nga Bay and James Bond Island this time.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,200 Reviews
9. Re: Phang Nga Bay from Krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:17