We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

I want to get a tattoo while I'm in Ao Nang. Can anyone recommend a good tattoo artist in Ao Nang or Krabi? I want to have it with the traditional bamboo. Thanks!

30 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Hi Layla_CK, how much does it cost? can I have the tattoo artist name and the shop name?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Hi!

I have answered that in my post before yours - 4000baht and the name of the parlour was Mr Tattoo!

:)

Crewe, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

I had a brilliant experience when i had my Bamboo tattoo done in Ao Nang. Went to Family Tattoo, which is just down the hill from McDonalds towards the beach. He and his wife are such nice people, make such a fuss, very clean sterile and professional, using new bamboo and needles. Nothing was too much effort for them. 1st class artist, took 10 hours for 1/2 my arm which was done in 2 sittings and if i remember rightly cost me around 5000 baht. A golden lifetime memory.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

hi we were in ao nang in November and on the spur of the moment visited and had tattoo done in family tattoo it was very clean and professional and run by a lovely couple we had two small elephants and our daughter had one large elephant and a spiral it cost around 4000 baht not bad I thought as others have said the other tattoo place is in the center point opposite smile bar smile bar is a great place also to have a beer

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Thanks for the update, I'm off to Krabi in March and want a traditional bamboo tattoo I defentlly look them up.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Thanks for the update, I'm off to Krabi in March and want a traditional bamboo tattoo I defentlly look them up.

Leyland, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Look up Spirit Tattoo by Vic,located near to the Krabi resort.Superb tattoo parlour and both me and my wife have been delighted with the tattoos he did for us.

Krabi Town, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

This is my 1st experience to Krabi and at this early afternoon i was looking around Ao Nang Beach for a tattoo Shop. As i came across and stop by at Mr Tattoo Shop, asking for a design that suits for my arm. He gave a a sample which i'm looking forward to get few designs instead. Unfortunately this Tattooist which i believe he is also the owner of the shop said and act very rudely towards me.He even said few bad words to me while ordering me to get out from his shop after i said to him that he shouldn't talked to me in a harsh way as i'm his customer and should be treated nicely.Besides, after a step out from his shop without feeling satisfying, he even lay his hands on me by pushing and punched me. Just imagine yourself as a tourist,dropping by just to get a tattoo from a local tattoo artist but being treated that way????. Please do something about it! Its such ashamed and it will affect the names of the others local tattooist as well. TQ very much for your concern.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,866 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

'Please do something about it! Its such ashamed and it will affect the names of the others local tattooist as well. TQ very much for your concern.'

What you like us to do ?

Besides I'm not really concerned.

Derbyshire, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang

Just got home from a holiday in Ao Nang .

I looked into reviews for Tatt shops before going and Mr Tattoo and Family Tattoo both seamed to get good reviews for the quality of work .

Both myself and my Mrs were fairly sure we were getting a bambbo tatt while on holiday so we looked at both shops .

We ended up choosing Family Tattoo purely as we walked passed the shop on the way to get food and there was only one person in getting a tatt (a really nice American couple) We walked past both shops several times and through opening times both shops were very busy and being quite small we did not want to get in any ones way.

The American lady we spoke too had had a tatt the day before and her husband was just getting one done so we had a quick chat and they both were very happy.

So decision made we made an appointment for later that evening for my Mrs to get hers done.

Off for food and came back a few hours later.

My Mrs had a small sun on her ankle which with set up time it took just over 1 hour to do . She described the pain and fairly painful but bearable.

I made an appointment for 2 days time for my Mrs`s name in Thai script on my forearm .

For my Mrs Tattoo the shop was all prepared so we did not see any of the room prep (just the bamboo being set up) but for mine the last customer had only just left so we watched the room be set up.

I was very impressed with the hygiene steps . All the table sheets were changed. Everything the tattooist would be touching was disinfected , even the table lamp was disinfected. The steel tray the ink was going to be stood on was cling film wrapped as was the vinyl cushion I was going to rest my arm on. Plenty of hand washing and he changed surgical gloves at leased 3 times through the clean up process before work began.

Preparing the bamboo took around 1/2 hour and he was very meticulous on getting the needles set up perfect .

The tatt started and the pain was very bearable. Its a long time since Ive had machine tatts so its hard to remember how the pain differs but I think it was quite a bit less painful. The nearest way I can describe it is like some one pulling hairs on the back of your neck or being bitten by mosquito`s hundreds of times.

Total time from start to finish was around 1 &1/2 hours and the finished tatt looks brilliant .

Both the tattooist and his wife were lovely people . Really easy to talk to in english (the wife spoke english better) and they made us feel really comfortable and at ease.

I can thoroughly recommend Family Tattoo if you want a bamboo tatt . We have some lasting memories of our awesome Thai holiday.

My only regret is I did not visit the shop sooner in the holiday and have more time to get at leased one more tatt while I was there. Some of the cover up work on the wall looked brilliant and I have a nasty old machine tatt I wish I could have got rid of . Most cover ups the tattooist hand draws on you as he was an artist before a tattooist so it looks like he can work round pretty much anything

Its just a good excuse to go to Ao Nang next year :)

Reply to: Bamboo style tattoo in Ao Nang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang