We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Have visited Krabi and the lovely Ao Nang area several times with my kids and always always felt safe there,never once seen or had any problems and felt totally safe walking round any time of day or night.But have been reading about gangs of teenagers going round with knives etc, is this a problem now? or just an isolated incident? i know you have to be on yours toes anywhere,but just does,nt sound like the Ao Nang i have come to like and enjoy so much with my family,but certainly makes me think about returning.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
California
Level Contributor
244 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

This concerns me! I will be there in approx 3 weeks!

Anyone??

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Hi

Can you point us in the direction of where you found this information?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Hi i read an artical in the daily mail today 26/10/2012 about a yound guy and his girlfriend who were attacked,and a few weeks ago a dutch girl,Ao Nang as i said is usually a very laid back and peaceful place to visit,i have been going there for many years with my family.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 21:23
Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Thanks for the info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223544/Briton-…

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let me answer your concern.

From the report, the attack happened near Nopparathara Pier which is a few kilometres from Ao Nang Beach. It did not state the time of the attack. However, just to give you a background, almost the entire stretch of Nopparathara beach is poorly lit and very dark after sun fall. The place also sees very little pedestrian traffic at night.

The couple have been staying on Phai Plong Beach - the private beach where the luxury Centara Grand Beach Resort is located. The resort is mostly only accessible by boat except for a trail that leads to it. The resort thus provides free boat shuttle service from Nopparathara Pier on certain timings in the evening so their guests can return to the resort after spending their evening in Ao Nang.

Sadly, nobody can totally prevent this sort of an attack be it whether you are in Thailand, Europe or America. Danger lurks in the darkness. While Ao Nang is generally safe, no one should take safety for granted. Let's wish the couple a quick recovery and urge the local police to pull up their socks and do their job better.

Update: The time of the attack is stated at about 11pm on Nopparathara Beach, a few kilometres away from the main Ao Nang Beach near the pier which is a very dark area after nightfall with very little pedestrian traffic or even road traffic. This is an isolated incident where safety have been taken for granted. Having said that though, crime is definitely not tolerated in Ao Nang. Tourists and local alike are advised to be careful when travelling in poorly lit places such as Nopparathara Beach and other places away from the main Ao Nang Beach. Police have already acted swiftly and have caught the culprits. Authorities have also checked and replace any faulty street lamps in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang Beach
Ao Nang Beach
5,805 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Centara Grand Beach...
4,265 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Bravo, such an excellent reply Andessen.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

Visited Ao Nang recently. Great spot, didn't feel threatened in any way. Even friendly Tuk Tuk drivers.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,332 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

The Daily Mail loves frightening people, usually with no cause, so much so that someone has created this Daily Mail random headline generator

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What,s going on in Ao Nang? Attacks on tourists

The DM did not originate this report and you may criticise it for elaboration or sensationalising it but it is wrong to imply that it is false unless you know that for certain. Andessen's excellent local report is measured and puts it into context but does not dismiss it out of hand.