We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

England, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

Hi,

I was hoping to get some recommendations please for restaurants near Centara Anda Dhevi Resort or heading towards the centre of Krabi. I've had mixed feedback from friends on eating at foodstalls ranging "it's great/the best food" to "be wary as you might get a bad stomach and you wouldn't want to ruin your holiday". Is it also best to stick to bottled water and not brush your teeth with tap water?

Looking to do a little shopping too (handbags, clothes etc) is it best to do this in Bangkok rather than Krabi?

Any advise and tips would be really apprecaited as it's my first trip out there.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
107 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

There is plenty of shopping around Ao Nang. I've lived here for 9 months and I eat daily from street vendors and markets (which I have done since I arrived) and I haven't had a problem. I'd say nearly all the food here is 100% safe, and extremely tasty. I would however recommend getting tablets from your doctor to bring with you for stomach problems, just in case. Pharmacists are easy to find in Ao Nang, speak good English, and can also give good advice and sell you antibiotics that would fix any stomach issues you may encounter. Regarding water: I only drink and brush my teeth with bottled water. I also keep my mouth closed in the shower. Bottled water is very cheap, so in my mind better safe than sorry. Ice in drinks here is fine though, as it is always made from bottled water.

I hope this helps.

England, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

Thank you Darren B, that's really helpful. I've been reading the posts on here and there are some good recommendations for restaurants, good cocktails and street vendors (the ones near McDonalds seem popular). If you have any of your own recommendations I'd appreciate any tips.

As we are in Bangkok for 2 days I wandered if it's best to shop there or wait until we get to Ao Nang/Krabi. Thinking of getting some clothes, handbags etc.

Did consider just coming out with UK Sterling and changing money at Bangkok airport as this seems recommended on the forum. We also will take a card and take money out at ATMs.

Can you pay by card at most places (i.e. Restaurants, shops, etc) or is cash best?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
107 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

Yeah, the street vendors near McDonalds are really good. There are plenty of bars & restaurants around Ao Nang, a lot are really good. I eat regularly at Sitti Cafe, the food and cocktails there have never disappointed. Hilltop restaurant is a good place for a sunset and a drink. Service and food there can leave quite a bit of room for improvement, but the view is great. THe street vendors you see on a lot of corners are also usually great.

If you'd like a super-special experience try the Frog and Catfish, it is amazing and I guarantee you won't be disappointed! They have great food and the best service I've experienced around Ao Nang, but it is about 15 minutes out of town. They have a taxi service that you can book through them, it's 800 Baht return (from Ao Nang to there and back to Ao Nang). They are also very well priced, so I'm sure that the money that you would spend on a meal there + the taxi won't be any more than what you would spend on a meal in most restaurants in Ao Nang, and it'd be a much more special night. Here's a short video I made at the Frog and Catfish to give you a taste of it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYUUx4aBeo

Shopping: there'd obviously be more variety in Bangkok as it's a lot bigger. I've only ever spent 24 hours in Bangkok, and I did no shopping there, so I really can't comment on that. There are lots of tailors in Ao Nang (if you want made to measure clothes), as well as shops selling t-shirts, jeans, shoes etc. And there are a few places selling handbags, but I haven't shopped for them here, so what they're like, I don't know.

Money, yeah, bringing some is what i did. You'll probably find you get a better exchange rate at a bank as opposed to in the airport, so it might be better to change some at the airport to get you by and do more later at a bank. There are ATMs nearly everywhere in Thailand.

Cash is generally best, I know a lot of restaurants don't take cards, but you are always safe with cash.

I hope this helps.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

Hi Sum

Had a lovely meal in " Thailandia " last June and will defo return in May on our next visit.

Regards

Jim

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

Leave your handbag shopping for Bangkok, they are quite expensive in Ao Nang and depending on what type of clothes you are after then Bangkok will have a lot more choices.

Cathy

England, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

Thanks for all your posts, appreciated. I'm not looking to buy too much but maybe the odd thing different to what you can find in the UK and also some gifts. I've read about the malls and am considering shopping in the street markets instead.

Darren B, that place looks really nice - just watched the video. Thanks for sharing.

Thailandia looks good too, just looked at the reviews. Thanks for the tip. Whilst we're there we'll be celebrating one night so will look for a special restaurant too.

7. Re: Restaurants & Shopping in Ao Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 07:18