We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

Which Ao Nang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Topic
Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

We will be travelling to Thailand in June/July which i know is Monsoon time and i would like to know which would be the best option ito weather - Ao nang or Koh lanta. Also need to bear in mind that we are a couple with twin daughters aged 17 so they will want some action too - we will be spending time in Phuket and Phi Phi so will be exposed action there. Also need to know if it would make sense to stay at Ao nang and go to Koh Lanta for a day trip - what means of getting there are available as i have heard that not all ferries run in the off-season times.

Sorry, above heading should read KOH LANTA

Edited: 28 February 2013, 10:07
lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

Hi,

I think that generally during the green season Ao Nang is a bit more sheltered than Ko Lanta. It depends on the weather of course but Lanta can get some very rough conditions on it's west coast beaches. The other advantage with Ao Nang is that if you get one of those 'bad' weeks then there is rather more to do inland.

Ferry wise, there are ferries Phi Phi to Ao Nang/Krabi and to Phuket but they are a bit weather dependent and the crossings can be rough. From Ao Nang there is no ferry to Lanta after late April so you would have to go overland from Krabi (about 2 hours)

Cheers

Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

Thanks so much - your comments were hugely helpful!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

Getting some action may mean different things in s Africa compared to Australia...if not you sound like good liberated parents

Just spent a week in koh lanta and now am in ao nang

Koh lanta is full of swedes of all ages so more action...however certainly not the bar scene of Phuket...we went to klong dao, klong nin and ba kantiang...all 3 were quiet so you may want to look at long beach...also lanta won't feature in

Any Thai tourist photos...there are thousands of. Better beaches in Australia

Ao nang is more for the older set...eastern Europeans and French predominate...again not much action for the girls...however it is an absolutely

Beautiful beach...the best we have seen in Thailand (railay has longboat problems)

Just my opinion...I would consider

Forget koh lanta

If action for the girls your main priority..stick with Phuket & phi phi

For best Thai beach see ao nang

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

Double post...sorry

Edited: 02 March 2013, 23:38
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

We go to both place regularly in low season and love them both for different reasons, but I think with 2 x 17 year olds, I would choose Ao Nang, a lot more to keep them occupied, it is not really worth going to Koh Lanta for a day trip in my opinion:)

Cathy

Edited: 02 March 2013, 23:49
Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

Thanks so much -help me a lot!

7. Re: Ao Nang Krabi versus Koh Lants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:16