We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ao Nang with our baby????

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ao Nang with our baby????

Hi my wife and are are looking to go for 2-3 weeks we our 9 months old daughter, any suggestions or tips for traveling with a baby??

Also any recommendations on parts to visit, tours and weather in May all baby friendly??

All help gratefully received, first trip away with our baby and no idea what to do :-(

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,144 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

Bart-Murphy, welcome to the forum, but no need to post so many times! Anyway, travelling with a baby to Thailand is very easy especially if you pick the right spot. May is traditionally the start of rainy season, but that doesn't mean rain all the time (the east coast around Samui generally has better weather at that time of year).

Khao Lak and Ao Nang are both family friendly, laid back places that are good to go to with a baby. I would suggest though staying somewhere close to a supermarket like Tesco Lotus or Big C where you can get nappies and other baby supplies - what do you plan on feeding your baby whilst on holiday?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
401 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

So is there any Tesco Lotus or Big C around Aonang beach?

Which is the best hotel recommended with baby of 9 months+ at Aonang beach?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
At Aonang Guesthouse
At Aonang Guesthouse
131 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

There is no hotel or resort near Tesco Lotus and/or Big C. There are many shops in Ao Nang carrying nappies and other baby supplies. It doesn't matter where you tour or visit with a 9 month old, as he/she won't remember it anyway. Anybody travelling with a toddler does it for his/her own fun and not for the pleasure for the baby.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,144 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

klongmuang, I think the OP wants to know what's safest and easiest tours to do with a baby, not what the baby will enjoy - some tours would not be suitable with a young child.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,295 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

I would stay somewhere down near the beach front in the midst of the shops and eating places. We traveled with our boys when they were that age - and in my opinion it is REALLY important to be very central so you can tag team. Assuming a baby of that age is still having a few sleeps a day - and will need time to bob around in the pool with you. If you are very central one of you can stay with the baby and the other go out for a walk, a massage or a look around the shops. Tag teaming in this way was vital to us when our kids were that small.

Aonang Villa is well placed right on a small lane along the beach front and on the main corner with everything at your door step. A larger hotel like this will also cater better if you want simple things like toast squares or a banana or warm milk or something like that.

The side walks are not even , but, I think it is worth taking a very light weight stroller with you. We always had one of the low cost very light weight strollers for travel. We attached a strap to the handle and near the wheel and could fold it up and throw it over a shoulder in ten seconds flat. This could be very handy because carrying a sleeping child on your chest in the May heat will not be pleasant. It would also give the baby somewhere to sit if you want to eat out and sit for a while.

Take as many supplies with you as you can. Enjoy the simple things like a walk on the beach, the wonderful food, the pools etc - I think I would avoid boat trips with a baby that young.

All the best,

Caroline.

Mentioned in this post
Aonang Villa Resort
Aonang Villa Resort
1,430 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,144 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

Great advice Caroline - I would only add that getting a room next to the pool is a good idea so that you can both sit outside the room and have a swim, but still be close enough to hear if the baby wakes up.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

I don''t see how that's much of a family holiday when the parents need to tag team and split up in order to get out a bit.

Each to their own.

Cheers.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,144 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

Better than no holiday at all FP and at least everyone gets some down time and relaxation for a few hours and it's only a suggestion for when the baby is asleep during the day.

Edited: 16 March 2013, 00:44
Melaka, Malaysia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

i've travel a lot with my baby since his age was 8 month. we didn't hire private driver to move around but using public transport in singapore, ho chi minh and manila. During our leisure time to mall, my baby didn't enjoy his stroller. However as during holiday when we walk a lot most of the day, he needs his stroller when sleeping. baby with enough sleep won't give you much trouble..and hotel must near to everything you looking for in daily basis. i'm going to krabi this april ;-)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
401 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ao Nang with our baby????

Thanks for the info. I agree with divide and conquer when you have a baby below 1 year old. At least either one can have massage or coffee when the baby is sleeping.