We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long tail boat transportation

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long tail boat transportation

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on visiting Ao Nang early next year. I just have a question regarding long tail boat transportation to the various nearby islands. Currently, I would like to visit the following:

Koh Poda, Chicken Island, and Tup Island. It seems like there are many tours known as the "4 Island Tour", which includes the mentioned islands as well as Phra Nang Cave.

And the Hong Islands. Preferably, I would like to avoid tours and hire a long tail boat myself. However, I have a few questions regarding this:

- Do they include snorkeling equipment?

- How long do we have the boat service?

- Is it possible to have random people join us, if it means it will get us a cheaper rate?

In general, I'm not sure how long tail boats work, so any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Iraq
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long tail boat transportation

Koh Poda, Chicken Island, and Tup Island are located near main land, so long tail is way to go as i is only a short boat ride.

Long tail boat is a long boat:D made of wood with dodgy looking engine at the back of the boat, when sea is rough is quite a experience if you know what I mean

Hong island Phi Phi island near Koh Lanta are located much further, so it will be much quicker and more comfortable to travel speed boat.Obviously speed boat is more expensive.

If you thinking about hire privet long tail boat it could not be easier(well i don't know how busy is january)

If you go private, driver will wait for you as long as you wish, and i think you can try to ask some random people to share a boat but i never done it that way my self.

Snorkelling equipment and life jacket should be provided.

Try to hire boat to chicken and see if you like travel that way but honestly what not to like.

Boat is not full of people , you can do what you want when you want to do it, and its more comfortable

But don't get me wrong some organized tours are quite good, combination of two(private and organized) is good combo:D

Edited: 14 October 2013, 10:01
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long tail boat transportation

Thanks for the response! I think I am leaning towards staying away from tours, I just don't know how hiring a private boat works. I am only traveling with my girlfriend, so my main question is, would it be possible to wait for random people to join our boat and split the cost that way?

Also, would you know how much certain trips will cost? I am going in mid-February.

Thanks,

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long tail boat transportation

Here's a guide: aonanghaven.com/krabi-aonang-longtail-boat-t…

You cannot wait for random people but you can ask random people who would like to join on a trip with you before buying the tickets at the booths located on both ends of the beach road in Ao Nang.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
889 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long tail boat transportation

4 Island Tour on join In basis will cost around 500 baht on long tail boat and 1000 baht on speed boat both with lunch, snorkeling and hotel transfer.

If you are in a group of 4 or more, you can rent a long tail boat in about 4500 baht, and rent snorkeling equipment at 50 baht per person. Make sure it includes including entry fee all island.

Hong island is a separate tour.

Regards team mypackagetrip

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long tail boat transportation

We just walked along the beach front of Ao Nang and were approached by a long tail boat driver, we did Poda, Chicken & Tup, booked him for 5 hours and it was fantastic. The price was 900baht and we paid at the booth at the northern end of the beach. From memory we had to pay extra for snorkeling equipment but not sure how much. Our boat was just for us, private and that price of 900baht was for the boat not per person. Prices will probably be a bit higher for you as we went during low season.

Cathy

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Long tail boat transportation

Thanks for the response everyone!

Our time in Ao Nang is quite limited. We're flying into Krabi on the 17th of February and I'm wondering if its possible to join an island tour the next day without booking in advance (not sure if they fill up quick or if they require reservation). I'm thinking that hiring our own long tail boat will not be cost efficient as it is only me and my girlfriend and we're going during high season.

Another reason why I would like to avoid booking tours online is that I heard it is more expensive. Not sure if this is true?

Also, would you guys recommend doing a day trip to Phi Phi or stay a couple days?

Thanks for all your help! I am so clueless and have so many questions!

7. Re: Long tail boat transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:18