We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Which Ao Nang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Hi TA we would love to go to phi phi from ao nang for the day but the idea of taking the slow ferry both ways with kids is not appealing. The speedboat tours shuttling huge groups across tourist hotspots is also not appealing. Is there any place that offers speedboat there and back but no tour? Or at least avoiding Maya beach? Any advise appreciated.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Whilst Maya Bay is all hustle and bustle you shouldn't head to Phi Phi and not experience it. The bay is absolutely stunning to see and shouldn't be missed.

I'd expect that you would need to do a trip stopping off at different coves and beaches unless you rented a private boat for the day. Speedboat would be very expensive but a longboat would be possible from Ao Nang although with kids I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Regards

Jim

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Thanks jim I was lucky enough to go to maya beach just before they started filming The Beach. There were 30 people on the whole beach. Not looking forward to being shunted around from place to place with the kids All I really want to do was hang out at phi phi for the day and go snorkelling somewhere.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Hi,

Andaman Camp and Cruise do a lovely day out to Phi Phi from Ao Nang with transfer service from your hotel. Their longtails are very high sided and custom built and quite often take small children. The owner has a small child herself . Most of the speed boats follow a set tour so Elizabeth can quite often arrive at locations when they will be quieter as it is a private tour. Safety is also a priority for this company. The longtails also have a canopy for shade.

Slide show for Andaman Camp and Cruise

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0288-9ae8-5da5…

website www.andamancampandcruise.com

b d
Houston, Texas
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

We are looking to share a speedboat 1/28 if you or anyone else is interested. Looking at Phi Phi and bamboo on our own schedule.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Understand your reservations about the tours, we just did one earlier and regretted very much. GIven half an hour everywhere, that isn't enough for anything.

However, I would not reccomend taking a longtail to Phi Phi it is much too far away form Ao Nang, you will be spending the whole day in the boat.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Hi, my hubby and I also don't mind sharing a speedboT to Phi Phi Islands/ Bamboo Island either on Wed 28th or Thursday 29th Jan. Had any luck?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Skippysue, I would start a new thread to be honest, as this one is from Jan 2014

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

Thanks, have done.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

I personally do not recommend speedboats in Thailand ! Unless you are very young and love speed but they are expensive, you can not standup in the boat ( they go fast ). It's impossible to make pictures or movies. Many times you go wet and upon arrival, your back feels awfull ! I would only advise a speedboat for a short trip like 10 min. A big boat is much slower but at least you can stand up or walk around and enjoy the scenery much more ;-)

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help we want speedboat to phi phi but tours look awful

I personally do not recommend speedboats in Thailand ! Unless you are very young and love speed but they are expensive, you can not standup in the boat ( they go fast ). It's impossible to make pictures or movies. Many times you go wet and upon arrival, your back feels awfull ! I would only advise a speedboat for a short trip like 10 min. A big boat is much slower but at least you can stand up or walk around and enjoy the scenery much more ;-)