We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Food

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Street Food

Hi all,when i visited Phuket i couldn't find much street food,or small local eateries, will i have the same problem in ao nang?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Food

Plenty of them here but you need to look out for them as some of them are mobile and only stop when there are customers.

The stationary ones are now located roadside after Krabi Resort on the way to Nopparathara Beach and a few inside 'Soi Boutique' or Ao Nang Soi 8 where The Small Hotel and Red Ginger Chic Resort are located whilst on the way to Mercure Krabi Deevana.

On the other end of Ao Nang, you have to look further up past McDonald's away from the beach, past the SCB Bank until you see a 7-Eleven and a Bus-Stop.

Otherwise, there is also the recently allocated Weekend Night Market in Ao Nang that is located on Soi 11/1 towards, Green View Village and Glur Hostel.

You may also look out for local markets every evening from about 4-6pm. These are further away so would require transportation to get to. As for their locations, it is best to pick up a copy of the Krabi Magazine Map while you are here so as to navigate and find your way. Fairly easy to get around Ao Nang. Cheers!

Edited: 20 January 2014, 09:36
Leyland, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Food

Is the food safe to eat at the ones near the Krabi resort.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Food

As Andessen says there are plenty of them on the way to Noptharrah beach.

We had lunch every day we felt hungry and quality and price were great.

Jim

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Food

Considering European food safety standards, these stalls would be banned or disallowed in Europe. But very common in Asia, although I rarely use them, I never had any problems tasting this food. They cook the food well and you're more exposed, if you eat raw dishes likes oysters, shrimps or fish.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Food

LOL! And that's why they are termed 'Street Food'. ;)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Food

We were in Ao Nang early January, and must disagree with the previous answers, I found it dissapointing how small the choice is for streetfood is in Ao Nang. There are usually some next to Krabi Resort (but not on Friday) and next to Nopparat Thara Beach, but it's all the same pre-fabricated fare. Nothing like what you get in Bangkok. It was diffcult to find anyone who was selling tom yum for example. The prices are also suprisingly high, but that might have only been because we were there in the highest season.

Bad news is, most of the restaurants serve the same food, but at twice the price. As for culinary delights fo, were thouroughly disappointed in Ao Nang.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Food

If you can get to Krabi Town night market you will have heaps of choice. Yum! Can't wait to return!

In Ao Nang we didn't eat much street food, but the Thai pancakes are amazing!!

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Food

Well... why was it necessary to compare a big city like Bangkok to a small beach town like Ao Nang. Both are different and you should be glad that they are. The OP asked about street food in Ao Nang because he/she couldn't find much in Phuket so there are our answers.

Yes, and don't forget to visit the Night Food Stalls at Chao Fa Pier in Krabi Town! :)

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street Food

Well Krabi is not Bangkok thank Buda! There are restaurants out of town that have may different dishes. In town the rent is high and that is reflected in the price. Did you try Mosaman ?

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street Food

Was in Ao Nang in March/April and found the street food fantastic and excellent value, we used it for one evening meal eating at a little plastic table and on our last day. Okay it may not be to Bangkok standard or size, but guess what? It's Ao Nang, not Bangkok.

Also used the 'street food' long tail boats at Phra Nang beach. That was out of this world too. Pad Thai on the beach with cold Chang Mmmmm.

BTW No upset stomachs at all :-)

Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang