We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR November 2013 - Part 5 - Ao Nang

Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
JBR November 2013 - Part 5 - Ao Nang

Saturday 22nd November

Our transport arrives at 10am and we were very impressed. We had an entire mini bus to ourselves. It was new, clean and driven by a very smart driver in a shirt and pants. We felt a little posh. We said our goodbyes and headed out in our minibus.

Only when we arrived home did we look at a map and realise we had seen so very little of this island, but we blame the weather for that.

We sleep through most of the transfer as we are very very weary and arrive sleepily to the Mercure Krabi Deevana in Ao Nang. We got a real bargain here, about 1750bht per night for two nights. We checked in and I am ashamed to say didn’t even leave the room this day. Due to the poor weather we drank far too much in Lanta and way more than usual. There was little else to do so we overdid it and were feeling the effects by the time we hit Ao Nang. We decided one day out of 21 to spend in our room was not so bad and anyway, it was still raining here. We wrapped up in our dressing gowns, watched movies on TV and ordered room service. Steak baguettes and chips. We steered clear of alcohol and just rested. We were meant to go rock climbing in Railay tomorrow, or hubby was anyway but decided to cancel as he was not feeling energetic enough.

The day was over before it began.

Sunday 23rd November

We wake refreshed and raring to go. We only have one day left in Ao Nang before we start the long journey home. We shower and head out to find my daily watermelon shake fix. There’s a lady outside the hotel selling them for 20bht. Wow. Cheap.

From here we walk down Nopparattara beach. We didn’t like the vibe much. It didn’t seem friendly. We walked past a gang of teenagers who were shouting at us and I thought laughing. I walked past in a huff while hubby chuckled at me. Turns out they just liked my Guns n Roses vest lol. We stopped at a nice looking restaurant “Tip Anda” or so I called it “No Tip Anda” as that’s what I left them. We ordered a selection of starters, Sui Mai, prawn spring rolls and chicken satay. The food when it arrived was nice enough. Tasty generous portions. The problem was the service. Never have I felt so ignored. We were there an hour and a half, considering the food came ten minutes after ordering goes to show how hard it was to get any attention. Getting the bill took 50 minutes after eating because no one would even look in our direction, never mind clear our table or check if we need anything. We may have stayed for another drink but no chance, we have a flight home in four days and I feared we would miss it waiting. This is the first place in Thailand I have not tipped. The size of tip varied based on how much we enjoyed a place but we always tip. Not here though, they simply could not have deserved something less.

We head down the beach and grab a couple of Chang and enjoy our first sunshine since Monday. It’s a beautifully hot day and we toy with the idea of getting a boat to Railay as we can see the pier from where we are sitting but decide it’s too late in the day. We chill with a couple of beers and read our books for a couple of hours.

We head back to the hotel just in time for happy hour and grab a couple of 2 for 1 strawberry daiquiri by the pool just soaking up the sunshine. All is right with the world again. We order a snack by the pool, some chicken strips and potato wedges. Nice enough.

As night draws in I have a craving for crab. I have not had good crab since Phuket and I need some. We decide to turn left out of the hotel when we leave instead of right like earlier in the day. We are heading towards Ao Nang beach and suddenly Ao Nang looks like a completely different place. We were not sold on this area earlier in the day but tonight, yay we love it. We stop at an old favourite a mobile cocktail stand and grab a couple of mojitos. We then do a little shopping looking for some foam beer coolers.

We pick a nice looking place with seafood out front and negotiate for some big prawns and a couple of fresh crabs with some crab fried rice. We ask for them to be simply BBQ’d and served with the fresh dipping sauce and that’s exactly what we got. It was wonderful. We ate every finger licking bite. The sauce was a real highlight as something we had missed on Lanta and PhiPhi where all we got was bottled sauce. I didn’t note down the cost but I think it was about 1000bht with beers but I can’t be sure.

After dinner we head into a little plaza with bars in where one was playing live music. It wasn’t as good as the band on PhiPhi but still good. We enjoyed a few mojitos to end the night and have to admit we got a little tearful. Our trip is quickly coming to an end. I am almost ready for home now. The sadness is because it is all over, not just the trip but everything. I enjoyed planning our wedding and honeymoon so very much and now it’s nearly done. In a few days I will be home and I don’t know how I will occupy my time. We shake off the sadness and enjoy the rest of our evening before heading back to the Mercure. This hotel has been fantastic, a real touch of luxury just when we needed it. The price was amazing for the quality of hotel and we felt very lucky to get this room for such a small cost.

de' MARCO Fashions
Gift & Speciality Shops
Andy the Tailor
Gift & Speciality Shops
Boss Tailor Krabi
Gift & Speciality Shops
Alex's Fashion
Gift & Speciality Shops
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR November 2013 - Part 5 - Ao Nang

Thanks Louise for your JBR. I am trying to decide between Krabi or Langkawai and this has been really helpful. Certainly cheaper with this option.

2. Re: JBR November 2013 - Part 5 - Ao Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question