We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Boise
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

My husband and I are planning a 5 or 6 night trip to the Okanagans, flying into Kelowna in order to save time. We have never been to this area before but have been to Banff, Lake Louise and Nelson. We've seen Vancouver and Victoria. My question is what nearby places should we drive to? We want to drive down, of course, to Osoyoos and stay there also. We have no plans other than starting in Kelowna and just want to visit the most scenic places. We will go to a couple of wineries but that is not the reason for the trip. We love to hike and want to stay at beautiful hotels. Any itinerary ideas would be very appreciated. If necessary we could extend trip by a couple of days. I was considering driving over to Merritt or Hells gate if it is a must see. We can also stick around the area from Kelowna to Osoyoos if there is enough to see and do for 5-6 days. We would also appreciate your opinion as to which towns to stay in. Thank you do much for any input.

Boise
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

I just realized I forgot to add that we are planning this trip first or second week of June. Thanks again!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
572 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

While in Kelowna check out Kettle Valley railway and Okanagan Mnt for hiking. Eldorado Hotel and The Grand for accommodations. Consider a drive up Knox Mnt to lookout which gives you a good view of city and lake.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

hi

my suggestions

Kelowna for 2 nites at the Grand or on the west side at The Cove http://www.covelakeside.com/contact-us/ one of two upper end hotels/resort There is lots to do to explore this area with a visit to Mission Hills winery just to see the building and then lunch at Quails Gate winery on a sunny day.

then move down to Penticton for 2 nites to explore the Naramata Area. maybe a bike rental to drive on the Kettle Valley Rail trails or hike up the Skaha Bluffs. in Penticton the Lakeside Hotel is a start to look for hotels.

then to get to Osoyoos take this route to see the Dominion Radio Obervatory

http://g.co/maps/trqgj

2 nites in Osoyoos start looking for hotel at the Spirit Ridge at Nk'mip winery site. a drive up Richter pass to see Spotted lake and Canada's only desert.

it might be warm enough for a seadoo rental on the lake at that time.

the drive to Merritt is not recommended but a drive to Hedley (highway3) and a tour of the old gold mine may be worth it if you run out of things to do.

cheers

cb

Boise
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Sorry for my delay in thanking all of you who responded. I really appreciate you all. This is by far the best way to get help in planning vacations. These ideas sound great. As I plan more I may have more questions. Thanks again!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

My knowledge of hiking in the area is very limited, but I hiked (and hubby biked) on a bit of the KVR north from Naramata - great views of the lake and valley. Also, we hiked the Golden Mile trail, which is accessed from the Tinhorn Creek winery parking lot, near Oliver. We really enjoyed both.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

You might be interested in the Myra Canyon trestle bike paths that use the old Kettle Valley railbeds.

trailpeak.com/trail-Myra-Canyon-KVR-near-Kel…

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

I like what cbaarch suggested. Hedley is a great little place to see, and although I've not yet done the mine tour (wear something warm for inside the mine) the Hitching Post restaurant is always worth while. In Kelowna the Goat farm and the Lavender farm are good visits. The goat milk gelato is great. When you drive to Osoyoos stop at Tickleberry's in Okanagan Falls for famous Ice Cream. And if you want an awesome old fashioned hamburger in Penticton, find the Hamburger 55.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,042 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

All good suggestions so far. You could easily spend all your time just in the Okanagan Valley, but if you want to make more of a driving tour out of it, cutting across to the Fraser Canyon via Highway 3 and Manning Park, and then north up Highway 1 as far as Spences Bridge, then cutting east again back through Merritt to Kelowna would make a lovely loop tour.

9. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:16