We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

My family and I are doing an RV loop, beginning and ending in Calgary this July (2014). We are leaving Lake Louise on June 30 and have to be in Richmond (Vancouver) the evening of July 2.

Our boys are 10 and 12, and we are looking for advice on:

-best RV parks in the region?

-cool stuff happening in the Okanagan Valley for Canada Day 2014

-what are the top three attractions in and en route to Osoyoos?

-would love to stay a night in Osoyoos en route to Vancouver, I've heard it's beautiful. Best campground (besides Haynes pt. which is fully booked) in that area?

I know it's a lot to take in in a short amount of time...unfortunately it is the time we have.

Obviously, we need to book something soon since it is the long weekend. After Vancouver, we are going to Whistler, then Green Lake Provincial Park, Jasper, Ice Fields Parkway back to Banff, and back to Calgary.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

With the provincial park full consider Nk'Mip Campground RV Park, Osoyoos http://www.campingosoyoos.com .

But if that does not interest you, there are more options up the road in Oliver. The Lakeside Resort has RV hook-ups www.thelakesideresort.com

Hello BC (Official Government Website) is a great resource: hellobc.com/british-columbia/…osoyoos

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

There arr two awesome Provincial campgrounds en route to Osoyoos for you. Okanagan Falls Provincial campground, just before you enter Okanagan Falls (home of Tickleberrys famous ice cream stop) and Vaseux Lake Provincial campground where the kids can go swimming. Both are firat come first served campgrounds - no reservations. Arriving early or by 11:00 AM is advantageous. For Mom and Dad there are lots of wineries. In Okanagan Falls there is an excellent swimming beach. In Penticton your kids would love a nice float down the canal. You can rent tubes at the south end, park and they drive you to the north end of the canal to float back. I'm not sure about Canada Day events as yet.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

See if this site might of help to you :

rvparkreviews.com/regions/…Summerland.html

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

Keep your eyes open for cherry orchards as they should be coming on stream in early July. You will see more towards the southern part of the Okanagan. Stop for a visit in Winfield (Lake Country) and pet a Kangaroo.

http://www.kangaroocreekfarm.com/

Most of the BC Provincial Parks have non-reserveable spots as well, you just need to get there early enough to book one. Nothing against private campsites but BC Parks have reasonable costs and are usually at prime locations.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

Enjoy your vacation :0)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,877 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

hi

these are your choices of RV parks on the east side of the lake in Osoyoos https://goo.gl/maps/QiYfo

Nk'mip (inn ka meep) is on the lake, below the winery and resort.

the others are on the other side of the road along the lakeshore.

Osoyoos is at the end of the valley so about 3 hours south of Vernon. Depending on where you are starting your day it could be a long drive to get there. You really need a stop between Lake Louise and the Okanagan - Sicamous or Salmon Arm would be a good area. something like

june 30 stay in Sicamous or Salmon Arm

june 31 drive to Osoyoos

july 1 stay in Osoyoos and visit the area or do water activities.

july 2 drive Vancouver about 6-7 hrs in a RV with no stops.

The July 01 weekend is never the crazy weekend especially this year since July 01 is Tues.

August long weekend is when you can not find any room.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

Thanks!! sounds perfect :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

Very helpful..thanks!

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

On you trip towards the Okanagan stop over at the Enchanted Forest Sky Trek just west of Revelstoke. The boys will love the Sky Trek Adventure. I was there last year with a grade6/7 class and they loved it and so did I.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

Will check this out for sure. . Thanks!

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in RV over Canada Day Long weekend...best spots?

Stop here & work up an appetite : http://www.skytrekadventurepark.com/

THEN on your way down to the Okanagan stop here for THE best ice cream :

…worldweb.com/2-251762-Sutherland_s_Bakery_C…

I know it won't look like much BUT trust me it has THE best ice cream in the Okanagan!!

This is a great place for kids to visit :

http://www.kangaroocreekfarm.com/

And all of this happens even before you get to Vernon !!

Have fun !! Kids will have a blast !

Get answers to your questions about Okanagan Valley