We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

badmaru
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

Hi travellers,

I need some advice. I have not visited either Playa de Carmen or Cancun and will be heading to one of those places at the end of April. I'm looking to be able to relax and do outdoor activities. Any recommendations as to where would be better? Also, I will be staying at an all-inclusive resort. Thanks!

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

I would go with the Playa area there is alot to do and its now as commercial as Cancun.I have been 5 time and love it.There are alot of new all inclusive resorts down there.The beaches and water are calmer and whiter the more south you go.These resorts are more set in the jungle/tropical setting with everything you need right there on the resort.There area alot of fun excursions to do close by you can book these in the lobby.Here are a few good sights to look at that show the resort

Apple Vacations

Funjet

Book it

Webshots shows the maps for some of the resorts.

Hope this helps here are some of my favs

Grand Pallidum

Iberostar Lindo

Barcelo

Catalonia Royal Tulum

Catalonia Riveria Maya

any questions ask

badmaru
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I will head to Playa del Carmen. Do most of the hotels have tours leaving from there? How did you go on excursions and which ones are good?

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

If you'd like to see modern Atlantic City like hotel strip, go to Cancun. Also, the lagoons are beautiful. If you like a smaller place, pedestrian shopping strip, go to Playa. I'd suggest renting a car & doing both. You can do that in 1 day. Scheduled tours will usually give you transport, lunch, guided tour & will charge siginificantly. If you'd like to rent a car & do at your own pace & see things along the way, that's another option (my pref). I stayed at Bahia Principe & was a really great place to stay. I saw other resorts too but this seems to be the best.

Regards!

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

Yes the tours pick you up at the hotels,some of the good ones are Xel-Ha great snorkling,Coba ruins tour,There are zip line tours I have not done.They have a great snorkling one off the coast our on the reef.Check out Apple vacations they will show you the tours they offer plus there are others they offer at the hotels.Good luck have fun.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

Same basic question except Playa de Carmen vs cozumel? My family likes to snorkle, fish, walk around the town square, etc. We have been to Coz on cruises but this year are considering a 4-day trip to either Coz or Playa or Cancun. Have 2 teenage sons. Advice of most any sorts would be appreciated. Thinking about renting a villa or condo vs an all inclusive as we probably can't drink enough to warrant the AI and like to explore new restaurants and "hole in the walls".

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

There are some great towns near alot of the resorts Playa del Carmen and Puerto Adventura.The resorts more south of Playa have great snorkling right on the resorts.

7. Re: Cancun vs Playa de Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 03:20