We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go

Brampton Ontario
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go

Looking at the possiblitiy of going to Mexico for the 1st time in about 20 years. Just wondering which area's are better then the others. We would be looking for safety, good food, great beaches and the nicest weatehr. We usually go to Punta Cana, just lloking for a change and have been hearing good things about Mexico just a little concerned about the safty factor,

Thanks

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go

you go to punta cana and are fraidy cat of mexico? bizarre. spend some time at a ministry of foreign affairs or state department website and go to the areas with no warnings which is most of mexico.

Brampton Ontario
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go

I have no issue travelling anywhere, my wife has concerns. When the news has stories of Canadians being killed while at resort in Mexico, one gets a little apprihensive. I stay on the resort and cause no issues. There have been issues with couples having trouble in Mexico not just 20 something party animals.

I came on here to get some peoples insight who have been and are familar.

Thanks

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go

The only Canadians I can recall being killed "on resort" were those in the recent gas explosion tragedy and one strange murder of a Woodbridge couple in 2006. Given the number of Canadians visiting Mexico (over a million each year) this is not statistically enough to make Mexico any more dangerous for Canadians than most other countries (e.g. Canada).

Sittard, The...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go

You are used to go to Punta Cana. Well that is an area you can't leave the resort without a guide. Mexico on the other hand is more safe comparing to the Dominican republic, but that depends on which area you would like to go.

You should stay away from Mexico city, which is about 800 miles from Yucatan.

We were in Punta Cana and the Riviera Maya. We couldn't leave the resort on our own, but in Mexico we could, with no problem at all.

In Punta Cana they told us, a beach guard, when we were walking down the beach, that we could not go any further than the grid, because otherwise we could been robbed, and not just robbed, but they could cut your neck to get your chain.

So, you are used to go to punta cana which isn't that safe at all, than Mexico (stay out of mexico city) will be a piece of cake.

5. Re: Where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 10:16