We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

what is the passport expiry date for US travelers to Mexico? There is no mention of this on the U.S. government web-site and calls and

e-mails to mexican consulates have gotten me no where.

Thanks for any information or link to a web-site that gives me the answer.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

Here is a current discussion on your topic:

tripadvisor.com/…47278741

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

Thanks, I did find those postings. I also just read on another forum that new Mexican immigration law changes effective Nov. 12, 2012 require all minor children traveling to Mexico need 6 months validity left on their passports.

We may not be going to Mexico this year because of child custody issues and renewing my grandsons passport.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

The Mexican consulate's Canadian website is the clearest I have found on this matter: embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php…

It clearly states there is no minimum validity of the passport and does not mention any exceptions. It also makes it clear that a minor traveling with at least one parent does not require any further documentation.

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

Thank you for the link. I don't understand why there is so much conflicting information. There was a link at the bottom of the page to address the new laws traveling with minors that have taken effect since Nov 2012. I have e-mailed them; I think I've already e-mailed them before but we will see if they answer my question about traveling with a minor with an expiry date less than 6 months.

The UK travel page says there is a 6 month expiry. The US page says nothing.

Havertown...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

How long must my passport be good for while i'm in Mexico before it expires. I have a current passport that will expire on Arpil 14, 2014 but will leave Mexico on the 8th, 2014. My e-mail is jrbreslin4 @verizon.net

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

You are fine in Mexico as long as your passport is valid for the duration of your stay. Your airline may have their own policy that MIGHT prevent you traveling - so check with them.

chicago
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

i dont get it no one has the answer ? really 6 months ?

chicago
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

im going on vacation in a week and just got this info from my travel agent...a little late! It Seems some airlines are the cause for this, they get fined $1,000 or something crazy if a passenger gets denied entry to said country. My agent sez its the law, funny thing is the law sez nothing regarding anything other than your return trip should be before it expires, if you have a ticket than that should be that..I even called the airline and they said no problem. If you ask me its the "broken tail light" of the airlines or Mexico , if your name ( maybe someone with the same name) is on some watch list they can use this as a reason for your denial.

9. Re: Passport expiry date for travel to Mexico???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:18