We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oaxaca or san miguel?

bgibson
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
oaxaca or san miguel?

Have been to the pacific coast many times, but first trip inland. Which city do you think should be our first? will be travelling though Mexico City. Thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oaxaca or san miguel?

They are a long way apart so knowing exactly where you are coming from might help. SMA is closer to Mexico City (3.5 hours instead of 6 hours). Anyway, the basic difference is that SMA is more civilized. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your interests. SMA has lots of antique and craft shops, Oaxaca has more indigenous markets, etc. Both will have fair numbers of foreign tourists. Oaxaca probably has more sights both in the town itself and in the surrounding areas.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: oaxaca or san miguel?

Civilized??? Oaxaca had one of the first major civilizations in the interior of Mesoamerica 3000 years ago at a time when the people around what would be San Miguel were still using clubs to get dinner. Guess you are referring to hoity toity nose in the air art gallery owners. You go to Oaxaca not just for the city but the multiple towns and activities in the entire valley. Oh yeh...food is much better in Oaxaca. I've been all over Mexico and have long rated Oaxaca as my favorite city.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oaxaca or san miguel?

"Guess you are referring to hoity toity nose in the air art gallery owners." Yes, that's kind of what I did mean. (Personally I don't like SMA at all.) Oaxaca is noisier, random protests occur, things are less well regimented - and many people prefer that.

4. Re: oaxaca or san miguel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:17