We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great article on violence in Mexico! Safer than the US/UK!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
482 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Great article on violence in Mexico! Safer than the US/UK!

I came across this great article and thought I would share it with this forum and hopefully help dispel some of the myths people have about Mexico and how supposedly dangerous it is.

banderasnews.com/1308/to-amar-how-safe-is-me…

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great article on violence in Mexico! Safer than the US/UK!

I agree Mexico is safe to visit but the article is factually incorrect in so many places. I guess the footnote "Asociacion Mexicana de Asistencia en el Retiro (AMAR) is a non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging and helping people from outside Mexico to retire in this country" gives it away! For example:

1) The reference to the Yucatan being safe always quotes data for the state of Yucatan rather than the whole peninsula. All the main resort areas such as Cancun and Playa del Carmen are in the state of Quintana Roo which has a homicide rate more than 10 times that of the U.S.

2) The kidnapping data is refuted by just about any source you care to mention. Just google "kidnapping by country" and you find countless lists where Mexico ranks as the top kidnapping danger amongst OECD countries. (Of course, this is not a relevant statistic for tourists who are extremely unlikely to be targeted relative to residents.)

As I said, I agree that Mexico is safe to visit but get frustrated when writers just make stuff up!

2. Re: Great article on violence in Mexico! Safer than the US/UK!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17