We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Mexico?

Brighton, Melbourne
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Mexico?

Hi, I'm planning my 2 week holiday to Mexico, which we are doing next November. We are a family, husband, wife, 2 boys aged 9 and 7.

I would like advice on where to visit. We plan to have one week at a beach resort - not Cancun but somewhere more like, for those who know it, Negril in Jamaica - a laid-back place with plenty of individual beach front hotels where the sand is white and the water clear blue. AI's and kids club style accommodation is not our thing, nor are remote out of the way places. Perhaps somewhere south of Cancun, or on the Pacific coast?

For the second week we plan to move on from the beach side resort and explore a couple of cities not too far away (anything up to a half to a full day's drive) and discover the true flavour of Mexico. This could be inland or again, somewhere on the coast.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Turns71 (Melbourne, Australia)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Mexico?

Akumel or Tulum might work. Read up and see how that sounds to you. But as far as then going to a city that is part of Mexico....Merida fits the bill. Suggestion. How do you return to Oz? Via Mexico City? If so that makes a logical place for a few days. Too far to drive in such a short time. Lawsy knows what exactly you want. What would interest you? Along the coast is still Disney. Merida is a beautiful city. But for variety MC works better. It's got a touch of about everything that is Mexico.

Brighton, Melbourne
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Mexico?

Thanks VegasDealer, I'll check out Tulum and Akumel, and Merida. Will not be returning to Oz from Mexico, rather back to Miami then onto Brazil. Disney we'll be doing in Anaheim before hitting Mexico. Interested in a beach town that offers a few bars and restaurants, but definitely a place that boasts a stunning beach. Tulum looks like it might fit this although I've heard the beach and the hotels are separated, and that a highway runs through the town. If so, not what we are after. Perhaps there are places on the Riviera Maya that may suit, I understand this location is a little less crowded than Cancun. Such a big country to narrow down one suitable beach and city locale...

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Mexico?

turns71,

I'll vote for the Pacific coast and Pto. Vallarta. Now to be sure, the water is not the same beautiful shades of blue, green, and turquoise, but Pto. Vallarta is a wonderful authentic colonial Mexican community right on the beach. You will find that Pto. Vallarta is easily walkable, great shopping, has a plethora of restaurants, and plenty of activities to keep the kids fully engaged.

Cancun is fine; I have visited there many many times myself. However Cancun was 'developed' by the Mexican Tourism board to 'create a place for tourists' on the Yucatan peninsula. That doesn't make it bad understand, just that it is a created destination.

Personally I only wish I had discovered Pto. Vallarta sooner; I would have taken so many less trips to Cancun.

¡Se diviertán!

4. Re: Where to go in Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:17