We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there and travelling around.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
23 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Getting there and travelling around.

We hope to travel to mexico later in the year, probably in October.

I would want to visit Oaxaca, Puebla and Mexico City. I would also want to be in some beach area, even if just for a few days at the end.

What I need advice on are the following:

The best way to get there from the uk. I had thought to fly to somewhere west, and start from there, but not sure. Obviously looking for the cheapest way possible.

Also, I would be prepared to drive, but not sure what risks this poses. I have driven in Spain and America. Last year most Americans advised me not to drive in Tijuana, but to be honest, it didn't look any worse than Spain when I was there. But is insurance difficult and are there safety issues etc?

And lastly, regarding the beach side of things, it would depend on what route I take in and out of the country, but with all respect, I'd rather avoid Cancun and Cozumel.

Any information would be welcome.

Regards,

Kenny

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there and travelling around.

How long is your trip? You can fly to Mexico City non-stop (from London) from around £787 return towards the end of October on BA and go via Toronto for about £100 less on Air Canada. Assuming you have 14 days then a possible itinerary could be Mexico City 3-4 days, bus to Puebla 2-3 days, bus to Oaxaca 4-5 days, shared van across the mountains (or flight if you can afford it) to Huatulco or Puerto Escondido for 3-4 days beach time then cheap flight back Puerto Escondido to Mexico City for your return home.

I am recommending bus because car is expensive (about £35-£40 a day plus road tolls plus petrol) and the Mexican first-class buses are very comfortable (a/c, bathrooms, etc.) and will generally save you a fair bit of stress (parking, traffic, navigation, etc.).

Glasgow
Level Contributor
23 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there and travelling around.

We intend to do 14 days, so I can fit all this in. Yeah, I looked at the air Canada flights and they are significantly less expensive, so that's what I will do, and maybe have an overnight in Canada. Thanks for the pointers on the beach locations, they look ideal. I will also have a look at the buses, that would make sense.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Kenny

3. Re: Getting there and travelling around.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20