We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

I have a couple of friends from Mexico flying to Europe to visit me and they are looking for a reputable travel insurance company.

Can someone recommend one and or an insurance comparison site to look for one?

Greatly appreciate it!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

If they are Mexican citizens then they are best off with a Mexican company - they can try any of the standard ones or even their bank probably has this service. Of course, if they fall ill in the UK or any other EU country they are entitled to free healthcare.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

They are both Mexican travelling from Coahuila. The free healthcare option is not available for them. In the UK there is a great comparison site www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/ (rates are very affordable) and I was wondering if there is something similar in Mexico.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

I don't know of any comparison sites in Mexico - they would just have to phone around or get quotes on the web. My Mexican visitors have always had free healthcare in the UK - obviously not if it's something that can wait until they return home but doctors are free for minor ailments and A&E will treat anyone free of charge in the case of emergency.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

I greatly appreciate your help Steve. Do you know if the same applies elsewhere in Europe? They are not just visiting the UK

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

I think the same applies in the EU but if they are visiting many countries maybe it's just best to get insurance anyway as that will cover emergency flights home, loss of belongings, etc. But for minor stuff (flu, bad stomach, etc.) a doctor should treat you for free and such a visit would probably not be covered by insurance (as there is usually an excess of £100 or so on the policy).

6. Re: Travel insurance FROM Mexico to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27