We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baja - Ensenada questions

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Baja - Ensenada questions

I had looked under the Ensenada forum, but was "directed" to this forum, and hopefully someone will have some answers.

We are "cruising" to Ensenada/Baja next year. Our time will be short, but I was wondering if someone can tell me what to see/do within a short span of time? Someone mentioned it is sort of like Tijuana, bargaining, etc. Is this correct? What type of items do they sell or we bargain for? What is the best way to see Baja/Ensenada in a short span of time, that is if there IS anything to see? Please give me your pros/cons of this area?

brneyes

Cabo Pulmo, Mexico
Level Contributor
684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

Hi brneyes & welcome to TA Baja

Ensenada is a vibrant city and has lots to offer. I would check what excursions your ship offers and then ask from there. Popular are La Bufadora, Winery tour and horse back riding in the hills. If you have more time there is FOX movie studio or a day at the beach. Personally, I liking walking through the tourist district with a stop at Hussong's Cantina (I think they invented the margarita here) for a couple of beers & Mariachi.

Timing is another factor to take into account. Carnaval week is in February and SCORE Off-Road Racing has week long events in June and November. Consider me a Robby Gordon Fan. http://www.score-international.com/

Consider the longer cruises too. We'd love to see you in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan :)

We do have a couple of great folks in the Ensenada forum. So, feel free to ask specific questions there.

T-32 & counting :)

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

Thanks for your reply back. This will give us girls/ladies a few things to "think about" before we get to Ensenada area, to see or do. I know our time is limited, but I DO want to see the area.

Is there any area that we need to stay away from?

They say this area is sort of like Tijuana, Mexico, is that correct? It has been years since I have been there, but I loved bargaining with the people. I still have things in my home that I brought back from there, years ago. It was a "fun" time in Tijuana years ago.

brneyes

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

I'm sorry, but I forgot to ask. You mentioned the beach. What is the name of the beach, and do you know if it would be far from where the ship would be docked? If we cannot walk to the beach, what kind of transportation would we use?

brneyes

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

Ensenada is a port city, and therefore, has almost no beach. Many people go to Estero Beach, but imo, it's hardly worthy of the name. There are beaches 30 minutes north of Ensenada, but you'd need to rent a car to get there efficiently.

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

Thanks for letting me know there really isn't a beach that is close. That way in our short time we will be there, we will try to find other "activities" to see/do.

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

Well I am back. It looked like there for a while we were not going to cruise to Ensenada, but at this time, it looks like we are looking at April to visit there.

You mentioned Fox Movie Studio. What is that all about, and is it worth seeing? Also the horse back riding. Is it done on the beach or elsewhere?

brneyes

ensenada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

inside yuor cruise ship you will get information about the atrcction in ensenada there expensive, at the port theres a shuttler bus that takes you to down town for 2 dlls.

theres a comnpany call las dunas they have shuttles that goes to the bufadora thats 15 dlls, la bufadora and horse backriding at the beach for 35 dlls, la bufadora horsebackriding and atv at the beach for 80 dlls. and also wine tasting.if you are more than 8 people you could get a private shuttle for more informatio lppk for me i'm at the port i'm a tour guiede my name is Rebecca.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

Fox Studios is no longer Fox Studios; Fox sold it. It is now Exploration (at least, I think that's the name). If you've ever toured a major movie studio, this one isn't all that much. Titanic, Pearl Harbour, Master and Commander...were filmed there. Local people, many of whom now work as guides, were extras. It's not a bad tour, but it's 45 minutes from Ensenada; it's actually a few minutes south of The Rosarito Beach Hotel in Rosarito. If you haven't seen a movie studio, you'd probably enjoy it.

There is horse back riding in Rosarito on the beach; I don't know about Ensenada.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

The name of the movie studio could Foxploration.....it's something like that.

ensenada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Baja - Ensenada questions

when you off the ship theres a car rental

but i recomend a van with a tour guiede you could rent it for the day or buy hours ask for for me Rebecca or Las Dunas that a company

you could go to rosarito and theres a papas at the beach or you could go to fax studios afther that come back to ensenada down town for hussongs

Edited: 10 January 2010, 15:15