We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

Chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

We'll be in San Diego in the last week of March for a few days and are thinking about driving to either Ensenada or Rosarito for a day at the beach. I'm wondering if this would be worth it as our kids are 8 & 6. My questions are:

1) Should we be concerned about any safety issues?

2) What is the average temperature during the day?

3) Which is better Ensenada or Rosarito and the distance from SD?

4) Better to drive or take the bus?

5) Can we use US$ or Peso?

6) Will this trip be worth it as I hear that San Diego beaches are very nice too.

Any other helpful feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

You've got mail, and you've got my email address.

Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

Pstreet1 - would you mind also sending me a PM with the info you sent the OP? We are also interested in taking our 2 children to Ensenada or Rosarito on our upcoming trip, and have some of the same questions the OP did. Specifically, I'm wondering about safety issues and what the trip is like going on the bus.

Many thanks in advance!

Rosarito
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

My 5 year old grandaughter would advise Rosarito for its beaches, horseback riding on the beach, playing in the sand and ice cream at one of the shops along the main boulevard. Great restaurants from fabulous taco stands (ask where from the locals) to full service restaurants. There are a lot of shops along the boulevard that are fun to browse through for both adults and children, something for everyone! She knows . . . been coming here since 1 year old about once every month or so : )

The Fox studio tour is interesting, Popotla fishing bay right next to it, and some people still enjoy Puerto Nuevo for its many restaurants and atmosphere.

Safety is not an issue anymore than elsewhere, just use common sense as you would in any city you are not familiar with. There are still fairly regular executions among the drug and guns people, but these will not impact a visitor in the tourist areas.

There are excellent deals on hotels now ($50 or less -- still not too many tourists) and the locals will welcome you with open arms.

I'm sure PJ has filled you in on much more -- enjoy your visit!

Dave

Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

I would also like the information! Thanks!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
90 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

Pstreet1--would you mind also including me with your PM. I am also concerned about safety issues. All of the other help you have given me was so benificial.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

Can you please provide me with this information as well? Thanks in advance.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

You've got mail--top right hand side of the page. You've got my email.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

i would also like the information please...

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

May I also receive your very popular information on safety? Have there been any recent attacks on the toll road near Rosarito?

Thanks!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego to Ensenada or Rosarito for a daytrip w/children?

It has been, literally, years since there were attacks on the toll road--and even then, they occurred in the middle of the night, and they were few. Any, at any time, is too many, but there are few, if any, large cities in the U.S. where you shouldn't think twice before driving around at 3:00 a.m. in some areas of the city.

Rosarito is safe. We drive from Rosarito to San Diego and back in the same day several times a week (shopping, doctor's appointment, a movie we want to see, a restaurant we want to go to), and so do all our friends. We've owned in Rosarito for 11 years; many of our friends have owned longer. NOT ONE of us has experienced a problem. We do know a couple whose car was stolen, but they (the couple) do not feel that was a particularly Mexican thing; it happens everywhere, and some people are unfortunate; they say it was just their turn to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and they have repeatedly praised the Rosarito police and everything that was done in connection with the incident.

Do not believe what you are seeing in the American media. We and our friends are not the type who spend a lot of time "living on the edge;" if it weren't safe, we wouldn't be there. We have a home in the U.S., and we love it; however, we spend more time in Mexico than in the U.S.

I'll send you a PM with my email.