We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ensenada or Rosarito?

Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ensenada or Rosarito?

We only are able to make a day trip to Mexico and was wondering if we should just stop at Rosarito or is it worth driving on down to Ensenada. Would someone be able to advise me on the advantages of each or which they would recommend we spend our time in. Thanks!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ensenada or Rosarito?

We live in Rosarito more than half the year, so of course, I have a preference. :) Rosarito is a beach community; Ensenada is a small Mexican city. For me, Rosarito offers everything Ensenada has plus a beach. Before we bought, we looked at both areas, and for us, Rosarito is a hands down winner.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ensenada or Rosarito?

Rosarito or Ensenada, is a matter of preference. Pstreet is partial to Rosarito b/c it is his town, but I love Ensenada, which I consider my home away from home :) There is no reason that you cannot visit both, but it would make for a long day, since Ensenada is about 90 mins South of Rosarito, although it is a BEAUTIFUL drive. If it were me, I would drive straight in to Puerto Nuevo (lobster village) which is about 30 mins South of Rosarito, have a $16 LOBSTER lunch, then on my way back stop in Rosarito and do some shopping etc.. There are also companies that offer tours, so you can totally relax. Round trip to Rosarito is $20 www.mexicoach.com/index.php… or $70 all inclusive Puerto Nuevo tour from San Diego ea Sunday www.allsandiegotours.com/body.asp…

Have a great time, and would love to read about your experience on TA when you return.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ensenada or Rosarito?

Ensenada is about 40-45 minutes south of Rosarito, so 90 minutes round trip. If you decide on Rosarito and want suggestions, let me know.

illinois
Level Contributor
535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ensenada or Rosarito?

Both are very enjoyable. If time permits the wine valley just east of Ensanada is like a mini Nappa Valley. The fish market in Ensanada has all these little restaurants with fresh fish that Anthony Bourdain would die for. Up at Rosarita the beach is long and beautiful. The area by the pier was spoiled by the absolute horrible loud music from the nearby beach bars. We strongly suggest go 5 blocks north to Los Pelicanos which has a beautiful 2nd floor Spanish type resaurant right on the beach with good food and great sunsets. Enjoy

ABQ, NM
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ensenada or Rosarito?

If want to go to the beach then Rosarito is the place to go.

But I agree with DJ1234, I love Ensenada. The little tourist area and boardwalk make for great sightseeing by foot, no car needed. Ensenada is very charming.

Shelley

6. Re: Ensenada or Rosarito?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:42