We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misc Ensenada

Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SAN DIEGO, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Misc Ensenada

Hello: It's been about 10 yrs since I'd last been to Ensenada but I'm heading down this weekend with pit stop at Sandra's in Puerto Nuevo and then off to rental beach house close to La Bufadora. Yahoo!!! I do have a couple of questions if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

-favorite restaurant(s) in downtown Ensenada?

-favorite taco stand location in Ensenada?

-favorite restaurant near La Bufadora?

-how far is the drive from downtown Ensenada to wine region?

-is the Santo Tomas winery in downtown Ensenada worth a visit?

-is there some kind of auto pass to get through international border wait quicker into USA?

Much thanks

ABQ, NM
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misc Ensenada

We liked Mahi Mahi restaurant. I had scallops that were so good. Plus the salad was green and fresh, NO iceberg lettuce. The margaritas were made fresh too.

For dessert we walked to Sweetberry Frozen Yogurt.

We went to both LA Cetto and Santo Tomas wine tasting rooms in Ensenada. We liked LA Cetto, the prices were really good but they only take pesos. Not a problem for us but just be aware. The LA Cetto wine tasting room is across the street and closer to town from Hotel Coral where we stayed. So we just walked there.

I can't really commit on your other requests, hopefully one of the experts will reply.

Shelley

SAN DIEGO, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Misc Ensenada

Thank you for your help Shelly including your post on biking in Ensenada. Mahi Mahi restaurant sounds great and will have to check out LA Cetto.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Misc Ensenada

Hello JaybirdSanDiego,

I hope I am sending this in time.

YUM! Lobster at Puerto Nuevo! ENJOY!

Favorite Restaurant, hands down is El Rey Sol. Very, very good French/Mexican cuisine, right in the heart of the city of Ensenada

Favorite Taco stand is next door to Hussongs! Take the time to share a smile and these guys cannot be more friendly! I've been there over a hundred times and been delighted with EACH taco.

Not familiar with La Bufadora area for restaurant recommendations..sorry.

The drive is about 30 mins to Villa De Guadalupe from the town of Ensenada. The main wine route (pick up maps at any hotel) includes La Cetto, which is so beautiful. The whole wine region is a must-see, and the wines (if you like wine) are very good.

YES there is a pass, it's called a BORDER FAST PASS. You can find information onlien about it online:

bajabound.com/before/…borderfastpass.php

We used it on our trip in April, for the 2nd time, and the San Ysidro/TJ border only took us 30 mins on a Sunday (normally a 90 minute wait time). Hint: ask the merchant if they have fast passes on hand BEFORE spending your $. El Rey Sol ran out the last time we were there and Sano's steakhouse were out too.

I am GREEEEEEEN with jealousy, I wish that we were going to Ensenada this weekend! Have a GREAT TIME!

SAN DIEGO, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Misc Ensenada

Thank you for the message DJ1234! We had a fantastic trip. Some of the highlights were dinner at El Rey Sol (incredible place!); buying shrimp from fish market; drinks at Hussongs; La Bufadora; wine tasting at LA Cetto boutique in Ensenada; lunch at La Fonda; relaxing at the beach house in Punta Banda. On our return home, we drove to Otay border crossing and it was an hour wait which wasnt bad. Our family and friends felt safe when we were there as this is a big concern with most Americans. The Mexican people we were in contact were all friendly, helpful and good people which is how it has always been for me there. I hope to go down there more often in the future.

J

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Misc Ensenada

JayBirdSanDiego_CA,

Thank you so much for reporting back to us at TA about your trip with friends and family to Ensenada / Punta Banda.

You enjoyed El Rey Sol! Superb! We, too love their food and ambiance too.

Great to hear about the Otay border. We have not taken that exit in awhile, we'll try it for sure next trip, esp if we cannot get ahold of a fast pass.

I think you'll agree...Baja has changed over the past 10 years, but the landscape, the blue/green ocean, the warm and friendly locals, and the delicous food, is as amazing as it ever was! It's only a matter of time, before it gets crowded again, so we are enjoying the lull while it lasts.

It is my understanding, that the US media has made an unfortunate mess out of things in Baja. Sadly so many baja families income rely on tourism, so they have really suffered. Funny thing is that we have some pretty crazy stuff going on in our hometown of Los Angeles (ask any LAPD officer), but we rarely hear about it in the media (perhaps b/c it would effect CA tourism). Unfortunately, we hear about EVERYTHING that goes on in Baja, complete (I think) with embellishments. Ok, off my soapbox.

Glad you had a lovely time, and maybe one day we'll see you at Hussong's.

SAN DIEGO, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Misc Ensenada

Thanks for the note DJ. You are exactly right about El Rey Sol -- it is not just the excellent food but the ambiance/experience! I must say this is one of my top restaurants I have been to in the world. I had an excellent sea bass fillet and my wife had incredible seafood linguine. Plus we had caesar salad they made from scratch in front of you. We washed our meal down with a great LA Cello blanc wine. For dessert we had delicious french pastries and also bananas foster which was a sight to see for the kids! A Mexican guitarist "Arturo" came and sang a few songs for us. My friend we were with has know Arturo for years and Arturo is one talented, friendly and classy person.

It was so beautiful/tranquil driving down the toll road between Rosarito and Ensenada. One day I want to golf and stay at Baja Mar. Also I really want to get up to the Guadalupe Valley wineries when we have more time.

I agree with you about the negative press with Mexico. There are bad things and people everywhere around the world and right here in USA too. I really respect the Mexicans as they work very hard and are kind people. In the late 80's and 90's I would go to Mexico several times a year plus the late night partying in TJ which was so much fun! I really do love it south of the border and it was a great time for us on this trip. Take care

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Misc Ensenada

Thank you thank you for the details about El Rey Sol...my mouth is watering! The table side Caesar is SO good, the bannana dessert is a show stopper, and the entrees are ALWAYS delicious. Indeed, my favorite meal EVER has been at ERS, too. And although I normally shy away from table side music, Arturo captured us all with his talented voice and guitar playing skills the last time we visited ERS.

This correspondance makes me want to hop in my car, grab the hubby and head South of the Border!

Since the early 90s, Ensenada has always been a 'magical' place for my friends and I, as we all have many fond memories of camping on the beach at San Miguel, and one too many cervezas at Hussongs/Papas. Nowadays we rent a home for longer stays, or hotel for short weekends (El Coral or Las Rosas), wine taste and are in bed by 10pm :)

But even after so many visits, I still get butterflies as we drive over the last oceanside hill near the Ensenada Toll Booth....some things just never change.

Thank you again, as I am still smiling...can almost taste the food and smell the salt air.

Pura Vida my friend!

8. Re: Misc Ensenada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 06:42