We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second trip

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Second trip

We just returned from our second trip to Rosarito and Ensenada. We love Mexico and thanks to pstreet and dj we were able to have another great trip. Still not many Americans except in la Fonda and a few at our hotel in Rosarito. Not very many in Ensenada except for the cruisers in the day time. But Ensenada was busy with nationals hussongs was packed as usually even papas and beer and mango mango were busy during the cruise ship time and after 10 pm. The food was great as usually with no safety or issues of any kind. I was able to get a fast pass from my hotel and thanks to dj and a little you tube clip I was able to find how to use it with no problems. It still took an hour and 10 min to cross but for Sunday that is not bad the last Sunday I crossed with no fast pass it took 1 hour and 50 minutes. If you are thinking about heading down do it.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second trip

So glad you had a great time! We will be going in September for the Rosarito /Ensenada ride and can't wait!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second trip

Good report. Thanks for taking the time to post good news.

Bullhead CIty, AZ
Level Contributor
28 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second trip

I had not heard re: the Fast Pass program -- and we even ate at one of the restaurants listed on the website when we visited last month. Next time, for sure! :)

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second trip

Yes you definitely need to ask for the fast pass. Even at the hotel they offered it over the phone but they never offered it upon check is so I asked how do I get it. Then they said on your departure date go to the front desk and ask for one, as soon as I asked they were more than happy to give me one.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second trip

The Fast Track can be a bit tricky to find at the border, but earlier this year and last year we were able to wiz thru the border in 30 mins with it...on a Sunday afternoon! It was fantastic! If the restaurant or hotel that you get your fast pass from some current directions, that is always helpful. We made up our own directions to share with friends in word format with photos (2011 - before the construction), so although there may be detours to our inx now, it is still pretty informative. I have it in a word document, you can message me your email if you would like me to forward them to you.

Always a good idea to ask the merchant BEFORE you purchase food/hotel if they can provide a fast pass...they run out of them.

ed8
San Diego...
Level Contributor
188 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second trip

Last week (8/5/12) we were denied the fast pass at a "registered restaurant " we usually frequent. Due to complaints of longer lines in this program, only hotels and medical clinics offer them now. However if you have a passport card with the RFID chip, you can use the Ready Lane (nearby the sentri lane) which is just as fast!

A passport card can be obtained for about $55 bucks online and usually takes 4-6 weeks. A Sentri pass can take up to a year and cost more not to mention that you may not be approved for one.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second trip

We get our Fast Pass from Hotel Coral and Marina. Hope the lane is not too long when we go in September.

ed8
San Diego...
Level Contributor
188 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second trip

Sunday afternoon avg's about 1 1/2hr for the fast pass lane.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second trip

??? So sad. Earlier this year and last year we used the fast pass on several occasions and it took us 30mins. What WAS a great system is now a bust. Dang.

Thank you for the report.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second trip

Isn't the normal Sunday time around 2 hours to cross. So atleast it may have saved a half hour. You can always check on the web site for boarder wait times. Too bad they don't post the fast lane time seperately.