We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ensenada Banks

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Ensenada Banks

Planning on going to Ensenada for at least a couple of months this winter. I was wondering about banks in the area and which ones have the greatest presence/locations. I know there are some Mexican banks that have a US affiliate and so ATM and foreign transaction fees would not be charged for withdrawals. I would like to open an account with one of the US banks, but not sure which one would be best for the Ensenada area. Thanks

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ensenada Banks

HSBC has a good presence in Mexico, and may be available in your area.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ensenada Banks

Bank of America is affiliated with Santander and one other bank(I forgot the name maybe scotia bank). They have no transaction fees when making a withdrawal I have used the one in Ensenada with no problems. Just make sure to inform you bank of how long you will be there.

Ensenada, Mexico
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ensenada Banks

I first opened b of a but they all now charge 3% international transaction fees. Capital one 360 is the only bank I found that doesn't charge. They have a number of atm here for free withdrawals. It's an online bank. U can take out 3,000 pesos at a time. You can transfer money between other us bank, pay bills, use the card here as a debit or credit card and pay the exact exchange rate of the day. I use it everywhere here. Gas, Wal-Mart, Costco, and restaurants. No being taken advantage of when using us dollars.

Pacific Ocean
Level Contributor
28 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ensenada Banks

Banamex and Santander are the most deadly available. Santander has an arrangement with BOA to not charge ATM fees, but, as is stated above, be aware that they just started imposing an outrageous 3% fee on ALL transactions made with you card.

Many people who live here are changing to Charles Schwab Bank. They have an account that allows you to withdraw from anywhere and charge no fees or transaction fees.

The other alternative is to get travelers checks in large denominations and cash them as you need them.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ensenada Banks

Thanks. I already have a Capital One Visa credit card that doesn't charge FTFs for purchases. I am really just looking for the best and most available way to get pesos from ATMs without any fees. I know of some people living in Ensenada who do Bank of America, but I didn't know how many Santander ATM options they have in the area. Does anyone know what banks/ATMs are in the wine country area?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ensenada Banks

I was just looking at Charles Schwab Bank. Here are the terms regarding ATM fees:

"We do not charge any fees for use of any ATM. If you use a machine that is not a Schwab Bank ATM, you may be charged a fee by the ATM operator or any network used. This may include a fee for a balance inquiry even if you do not complete a withdrawal or other monetary transaction. We offer a rebate on these fees assessed by others: For Interest Checking, Regular Checking, and Basic Checking up to first 6 transactions not to exceed $9.00 per statement period. Schwab Bank reserves the right to discontinue or modify the ATM Fee Rebate program at any time. Please see your Schwab Bank Deposit Account Pricing Guide for details."

So from what I understand, they won't charge any fees themselves. If the ATM owner charges a fee, Charles Schwab will reimburse the amount up to $9 per month(or statement period). So I wonder what ATMs around Ensenada charge? Seems like fees could add up to $9 pretty quick. Also, what kind of conversion rate do you get from dollars to pesos?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
87 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ensenada Banks

We have never driven into Mexico but will be leaving in our RV within couple of weeks for Ensenada. We have a Bank of America account. This is what I copied from BOA website TODAY --

Traveling Internationally?

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card at one of our International partner ATMs and avoid the Non-Bank of America ATM $5 usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry as well as the ATM operator access fee.

BNP Paribas (France)

BNL D’Italia (Italy)

Barclays United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel Islands)

Deutsche Bank (Germany)

UkrSibbank (Ukraine)

Scotiabank (Canada, Peru, Chile, and the Caribbean countries: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Antilles, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands)

Westpac Bank (Australia and New Zealand)

China Construction Bank (Mainland China)

Santander (Mexico)

Bank of America will assess an international transaction fee of 3% of the converted US dollar amount --.*1 --Foreign ATM operators may offer to do your currency conversion for you, but they may charge a higher fee for conversion. To insure that your currency conversion does not incur a fee higher than 3%, you may refuse the ATM operator's offer to convert the amount of the transaction.

Your foreign currency and travelers cheques are ready when you are.

Bank of America helps you with your foreign currency and travelers cheques needs. Use our secure, convenient, online service to:

Sign in and purchase up to $10,000 of foreign currency a month. For customers not signing in, orders are limited to $500 in foreign currency a year.

Check daily foreign currency banknote exchange rates.

Calculate the value of your currency before you exchange money.

*1 Due to your account relationship, your account may not be assessed the international transaction fee

Baja California...
Level Contributor
601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ensenada Banks

did someone actually recommended HSBC???????????? .

Baja California...
Level Contributor
601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ensenada Banks

?

Edited: 01 May 2014, 22:19
10. Re: Ensenada Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15